Apple Music & My Playlists

martygreene

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I subscribed to Apple Music when it was first offered and I experienced the issues so many others did - namely my Playlists were altered - music added, music replace with other versions and music deleted. It took me some time to return my curated playlists to their original form.

At the time I spent so much time on airplanes for business I couldn't use the streaming service much anyone so i cancelled it.

I have not used Apple Music since then but I have heard that Apple has fixed that issue and that personal playlists will not be impacted in any way should it return to Apple Music. My travel schedule has lightened greatly so I have need for a streaming service.

So the question - is it true that Apple Music will not impact my personal playlists as it did in its inception?

Thank you.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have been using Apple Music since its launch and have not had issues with my personal playlists. I have a handful downloaded on my phone so I don't need to stream them. I also have my wife and kids on Apple Music and they too have plenty of playlists that work with no issues.

Give it a shot, worst case you loose a month of $ for the service. You can cancel at any time.

36_year_Apple_user

May 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm very upset by this latest Apple intrusion into what should be MY intellectual property--i.e., music I have PAID FOR and uploaded to my MacBook Pro and then downloaded onto my iPhone 5s via synching. I'm looking right now at a playlist on my MacBook Pro, which, when I put it together, had about 75 songs in it. There are now 21 songs.

I began noticing something wrong a couple of updates ago. I'd open a playlist on my iPhone only to see that a good many of the songs were grayed-out (unavailable) and would not play at all. Now they're gone. I DID NOTHING TO DELETE ANY OF THESE TRACKS! NOTHING!

If Apple advertised its iPhones as devices that will store and play only music acquired from Apple, this would be understandable. However, I have seen no such advertising for the iPhone. What’s more, some of my disappeared music was purchased from the Apple Store!

On my MacBook Pro, I now have a grand total of 121 songs under iTunes. That is strange, since I have close to 500 music CDs in my possession, all bought at fair market price. I also HAD numerous downloads, both from Apple and Amazon, for which I paid fair market value. Thousands of dollars worth of music, now missing from the devices upon which I depended to store it!

I have a database that lists every song I own in CD format. There are close to 12,000 titles in that database. Naturally, I don't care for all of them and was selective in which ones I uploaded to my MacBook Pro. But suffice it to say that I uploaded hundreds more songs than the 121 that now remain in iTunes on my MacBook Pro.

I suppose I could start over and begin uploading songs from my CDs to my MacBook Pro--A TREMENDOUS WASTE OF TIME--but my new MacBook Pro lacks an optical drive! I had to buy an external optical drive to use with my current laptop. It functions poorly, if at all. I'd much rather have my old, dead, MacBook Pro with the optical drive back! So what if it's a little thicker? I'd much rather have the optical drive. I keep a set of backups on DVD as (from tragic experience) I don't trust backup drives. And now, I don't trust Apple, either.

What really makes me furious is the disappearance of my downloaded music! My database doesn't list the downloads.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? Does Apple want us all to roll over, submit and pay to download our entire music libraries from the iTunes store?? Why bother, when they'd just disappear anyway. Apple doesn’t have much of what is in my music library. And besides, I don't like the stuff they feature as "music" in the iTunes store and push at me every time I try to enjoy my own music--or at least, what remains of my own music.

Unless Apple has a quick fix for these problems, they're mis-appropriating people's personal property. In other words, they're guilty of the legal common-law tort of CONVERSION, especially with regard to the downloads. If I can't get ALL of my music restored to my MacBook Pro and my iPhone right away, I'm going to look into being the lead plaintiff in a class action lawsuit. I can see from my research that I'm far from the only person who's lost a music library due to Apple's negligence.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm very upset by this latest Apple intrusion into what should be MY intellectual property--i.e., music I have PAID FOR and uploaded to my MacBook Pro and then downloaded onto my iPhone 5s via synching. I'm looking right now at a playlist on my MacBook Pro, which, when I put it together, had about 75 songs in it. There are now 21 songs.

I began noticing something wrong a couple of updates ago. I'd open a playlist on my iPhone only to see that a good many of the songs were grayed-out (unavailable) and would not play at all. Now they're gone. I DID NOTHING TO DELETE ANY OF THESE TRACKS! NOTHING!

If Apple advertised its iPhones as devices that will store and play only music acquired from Apple, this would be understandable. However, I have seen no such advertising for the iPhone. What’s more, some of my disappeared music was purchased from the Apple Store!

On my MacBook Pro, I now have a grand total of 121 songs under iTunes. That is strange, since I have close to 500 music CDs in my possession, all bought at fair market price. I also HAD numerous downloads, both from Apple and Amazon, for which I paid fair market value. Thousands of dollars worth of music, now missing from the devices upon which I depended to store it!

I have a database that lists every song I own in CD format. There are close to 12,000 titles in that database. Naturally, I don't care for all of them and was selective in which ones I uploaded to my MacBook Pro. But suffice it to say that I uploaded hundreds more songs than the 121 that now remain in iTunes on my MacBook Pro.

I suppose I could start over and begin uploading songs from my CDs to my MacBook Pro--A TREMENDOUS WASTE OF TIME--but my new MacBook Pro lacks an optical drive! I had to buy an external optical drive to use with my current laptop. It functions poorly, if at all. I'd much rather have my old, dead, MacBook Pro with the optical drive back! So what if it's a little thicker? I'd much rather have the optical drive. I keep a set of backups on DVD as (from tragic experience) I don't trust backup drives. And now, I don't trust Apple, either.

What really makes me furious is the disappearance of my downloaded music! My database doesn't list the downloads.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? Does Apple want us all to roll over, submit and pay to download our entire music libraries from the iTunes store?? Why bother, when they'd just disappear anyway. Apple doesn’t have much of what is in my music library. And besides, I don't like the stuff they feature as "music" in the iTunes store and push at me every time I try to enjoy my own music--or at least, what remains of my own music.

Unless Apple has a quick fix for these problems, they're mis-appropriating people's personal property. In other words, they're guilty of the legal common-law tort of CONVERSION, especially with regard to the downloads. If I can't get ALL of my music restored to my MacBook Pro and my iPhone right away, I'm going to look into being the lead plaintiff in a class action lawsuit. I can see from my research that I'm far from the only person who's lost a music library due to Apple's negligence.

I'm sorry that happened but you still own--and have access to--the original media. You purchased a notebook without an optical drive on your own accord. If you go to your purchased music in iTunes it should be there. Whatever you purchased through Amazon should still be accessible on Amazon for re-download. Again, I'm not saying that it isn't a pain in the butt but is Apple guilty of conversion? That's pretty far fetched in my opinion.

Good luck.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

1: Open iTunes on your MacBook Pro
2: Open iTunes on your iPhone
3: Locate the song that is greyed out on your iPhone
4: Long press that song and choose to delete from Library. (Do it, don't worry, the physical file will remain on your MacBook Pro)
5: On your MacBook Pro in iTunes Locate the song you just deleted. Right click and Add To Library.

It's this easy.

Apple has a tremendous library with over 40 million songs for streaming and even more in their iTunes Store.
Sometimes songs that were licensed for streaming get revoked by the music labels. Apple has no choice but to delete it from their streaming service. Yes this affects you from time to time but is actually very simple to solve. You just have to upload that song back to iCloud Music Library.

Good luck and enjoy Music. I know I do and I have over 10k songs on it.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Apple Music & My Playlists

Problem solved somewhat, but couldn’t delete my post. Thanks.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice