I have a RED iPhone 7. Ask me anything! (AMA/Q&A)

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Notice how he had to use the white home button? WHY can't Apple make it so that software doesn't care if you've replaced the home button?

You can, as long as the logic board follows over.
The person would've had to put the black iPhone's logic board into the Red one in order to use the black Home button.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Yea I get that, BUT there should be a way to reset the phone so a screen repair and button repair can be done. :) Make it so it HAS to be a factory new part or the device has to reset the imprints etc. I'm sure their is a way they can get around the security issue if they wanted to, a BIG part of the issue is they also want to thwart 3rd party repair efforts. ;)

Not if you want real security, sadly. Otherwise, people could simply swap sensors and access the phone content.

That's why this is fail-secure. Any tampering kills touch ID, so your data isn't compromised.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Not if you want real security, sadly. Otherwise, people could simply swap sensors and access the phone content.

That's why this is fail-secure. Any tampering kills touch ID, so your data isn't compromised.

Yea again I get the security issue, BUT there should be a process for a certified tech to fix the device. I have heard horror stories about devices that have become bricks after a OS update die to "unauthorized hardware" Perhaps they HAVE resolved that issue? Certainly Joe homebrew shouldn't be about to replace his homebutton, BUT I don't think I should have to replace my whole device because my homebutton broke!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
That makes the security issue even more of a risk.

So the better solution is for the device to brick? My point is there should be a way to make the device totally reset as if it were a BRAND NEW out of box device when the button is replaced, and further for it to ONLY accept a brand new replacement button, NOT one with and fingers saved on it. What happens now is the device bricks when you update your OS because unauthorized hardware is detected.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I have a RED iPhone 7. Ask me anything! (AMA/Q&A)

So the better solution is for the device to brick? My point is there should be a way to make the device totally reset as if it were a BRAND NEW out of box device when the button is replaced, and further for it to ONLY accept a brand new replacement button, NOT one with and fingers saved on it. What happens now is the device bricks when you update your OS because unauthorized hardware is detected.

The solution, for third party) is to replace the logic board as well (the same that goes with the Home button) and voila!

Otherwise,  just reprograms it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2