Expected battery time 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2012

dingleberry3000

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Dear Rene,

I just sold my 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro 2012 on eBay for just over $900 Australian. Now the buyer is complaining about battery life. There was nothing wrong with the machine and I'm actually a bit regretful I pulled the trigger on the new model so soon, should have waited for the next revision!

My question for you is, what is a reasonable expectation for battery time for a computer this old? I know there's many factors to consider but the buyer may open an eBay case against me saying item not as described. The buyer tells me they are getting around 3 hours.

I believe I have done all I can. I posted on the ad the battery info which stated cycle count: 534 and condition: normal. This was my secondary machine so I believe those figures are good for a machine this old as it was only used lightly, just enough to keep the battery juices flowing. I also responded to the buyer's queries after their purchase informing them to wait until all syncing and software has been updated before judging battery times. They say they've now done this and still only getting three hours.

The buyer also says he called Apple who after questioning and perhaps diagnostic over the phone suggested he replace the computer. I think that is preposterous as I've been using the machine with no problems. Surely this eBay buyer doesn't have a case against me? How am I to know what software this person is running or how bright their screen is?! And I think if someone buys a nearly 5 year old computer, they should expect the battery life will be much less than the claimed figures when new.

I'd love to know your thoughts or experience with battery life over time on these machines as it's quite upsetting to be accused of behaving irresponsibly when I believe I did everything in good faith.

Thank you

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Even if he opens an Ebay claim on the MacBook, you send Ebay the info stated in your ad so they'll see the buyer knew what he bought. That'll play in your favour.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Two issues here:

1. eBay: I'm not familiar with their process but it sounds like you were upfront about what you were selling.

2. Battery life: It varies so much based on usage that it's really hard to say. Tons of Chrome tabs while transcoding video is very different than writing in Pages or listening to Apple Music.

dingleberry3000

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for both your answers. There's no way I can know what this person is running on the machine. I still think 3 hours is not that bad anyway, considering the age of the machine. Looking around on the web at other people's experience, 3 hours seems to be about right.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR