What classes and what institutions offer the best education specifically for Apple products?

andrewoleynik

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Rene, I saw elsewhere you mentioned swift was a good learning tool. However I'm wonder what type of stuff I should study to become a programmer. Like what classes and what institutions offer the best education specifically for Apple products? Is swift good enough? Could I get a job just by playing on swift playgrounds?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Re: Learn to code

Rene, I saw elsewhere you mentioned swift was a good learning tool. However I'm wonder what type of stuff I should study to become a programmer. Like what classes and what institutions offer the best education specifically for Apple products? Is swift good enough? Could I get a job just by playing on swift playgrounds?

I'm not a programmer so hopefully someone else can add a more informed response as well.

Swift Playgrounds on iPad seems like a good way to at least dip your toe in the water, though!

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site

A programming language is just a tool you use to create something. So learning to program is not really language specific but more a conceptual thing. Actually it's mostly about solving problems or how would I make this do what I, or the one you build something for, want.

How you solve something does have a relation to the tool you use, because different tools use different ways to get where you need to be.
Usually you'd go through a study in computer science or programming, but there are a lot of people (specially age 50+) that changed carreers later to become a programmer with a mathematics or physics background. There are plenty of courses to learn specific programming languages, but as a programmer, writing code is mostly the smallest part of it.

I hope this still makes sense :)

To get back to your question, swift playground does get you into the basics. So I think it would be an easy way to see if you actually like programming. Although, for as far as I've sene it, it doesn't really learn you the whole part that comes before actually starting to build something.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site

Playgrounds won't be enough to get a job.

You can learn Swift from it, Apple's free book, and multiple iTunes University classes at no cost. (The classes are from real universities.) Then play around with code in IBM's Swift Sandbox in your web browser, no download required:

https://developer.ibm.com/swift/2015/12/03/introducing-the-ibm-swift-sandbox/

To make an app, you need Xcode, which only works on macOS.

- - -

CompSci is an odd field. You can have no degree, teach yourself, and get a job or start a company, but you have to be good. A body of work is needed and volunteering for a nonprofit helps (they may even help train you). A 4 year degree with internships from a good college can set you up nicely too, naturally.

The things about Swift is that it is a bit niche: it's mainly for making iOS/Mac apps. That may change over time (MS is looking into it and it works for Linux), but that's where things are. A lot of companies are still using Objective C, the old iOS/Mac app language. That said, Swift is the future, iOS makes money, and there aren't enough people who know the language right now.

andrewoleynik

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback. It is encouraging. I want to learn how to code and build apps and things like that but (and I know this will sound snobby) I only want to work on Mac and apple products. That has been why I have hesitated to go to the local college to learn to program or whatever, because I know they will use mainly windows.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. The iTune U courses are the way to go, then. Those will all be on Macs. Any Swift college courses will also be on Macs too. Keep in mind that you can look into online classes and learn from anywhere. Make sure it is an accredited college and check with local schools to ensure credits will transfer!!! Only a third party can tell you that. Get it in writing.

Note: Game development can use cross platform kits like Unity.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2