Correct way to charge your iPhone

Alistair Ward

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm a bit paranoid regarding the health of my iPhone battery and know that the best way to ensure long life is to look after it properly by charging it correctly.

I just wondered if there's any do's and don't's when it comes to charging an iPhone. I've heard that you shouldn't drain it except for once a month, but is it true that the iPhone doesn't like being charged to 100% either, and that you shouldn't do overnight charges?

Also, is it okay to charge your iPhone whenever you see fit, for instance from 25% to 50% or in fact should you always charge to 100%?

Just some general tips really. I understand factors such as avoiding extreme temperatures, and what to do if you're storing your iPhone over a long period of time.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
In all honesty you'll get difference advice from different people. I've even had different apple people tell me different advice for charging my iPhone!

Batteries start declining slowly the minute they are made. Thankfully modern batteries aren't as bad as the old Ni-Cad batteries that had memory effect.

In general the only advice I've read that's consistent is if you're leaving the device for a while charge it to 50% before you leave it. Never leave it flat for a long time. Other than that advice I've read and been given has been inconsistent and contradictory.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've always charged my iPhones when I need to. Maybe once per month my battery will drain completely down.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I'm a bit paranoid regarding the health of my iPhone battery and know that the best way to ensure long life is to look after it properly by charging it correctly.

I just wondered if there's any do's and don't's when it comes to charging an iPhone. I've heard that you shouldn't drain it except for once a month, but is it true that the iPhone doesn't like being charged to 100% either, and that you shouldn't do overnight charges?

Also, is it okay to charge your iPhone whenever you see fit, for instance from 25% to 50% or in fact should you always charge to 100%?

Just some general tips really. I understand factors such as avoiding extreme temperatures, and what to do if you're storing your iPhone over a long period of time.

There's very little you have to worry about as a user any more. So much smarts is built into the charging process that it will just do its best regardless of your behavior. If you keep it plugged in most of the time, it'll lower and raise charge on its own. If you run it down every day, it'll save as much power at the end as it can.

Basically, just use your phone and charge it when you need it, and the system will take care of the rest.