Iphone 11 dropped in water

Nelg0000

Feb 5, 2023
Visit site
Dropped my iphone 11 in about an inch of water for only a few seconds and immiedietly dried it off. After turning it on, the screen went black but when i reset it the screen shows again for a second then disapears, what could be happening?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Water damage. If you have Apple Care+ then now would be a good time to use it. If not, you can try placing it in or near something that will draw the moisture out and then hope for the best.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Dropped my iphone 11 in about an inch of water for only a few seconds and immiedietly dried it off. After turning it on, the screen went black but when i reset it the screen shows again for a second then disapears, what could be happening?

Welcome to iMore. I’m sorry this happened to your phone and have my fingers crossed that you have Apple Care. This article gives good step by step instructions on how to dry your phone:

https://www.wikihow.com/Dry-Out-a-Wet-iPhone

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site

If it was dropped into an inch of water then it is extremely likely it was physically damaged on the hard surface at the bottom of that inch of water. Unfortunately it would have been better if you dropped it into a foot of water. The hit of the hard surface caused the immersion in water protection seal to be compromised.
You mentioned drying it off and that is all you can do (a soft towel only) but there will be water that you can't dry off. But it may turn on and work given a day or two if left in a dry room temperature environment(do not plug it in). Otherwise, as Just_Me_D stated, get it repaired either under AC+ (if you have it) or full repair cost. But consider that repair cost to that of a used iPhone 11 at about 250$ or an iPhone 12 for about 340.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
When a phone or any other electrical apparatus gets wet it is important not to turn it on until it has dried out, as a short in the electric current can cause significant damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Annie_M

Claire_Lara

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site

iPhone 11 can't survive a second in water. It's an old phone so there is no water resistance feature. Get it repaired in the Service center.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
iPhone 11 can't survive a second in water. It's an old phone so there is no water resistance feature. Get it repaired in the Service center.

IPhone 11 technical specification is IP68.

IP (Ingress protection): the digits/characters following “IP” each have specific value/meaning. First digit is solids (ex. dust), second digit liquids (ex. Water), possible third character is a standards addendum to first and/or second digit/character.

In the iPhone 11 IP68 example
6 = enclosure totally protected against dust.
8 = enclosure totally protected against immersion in water to 3 meters

Reactions: Annie_M

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
[mention]theKHMERboy [/mention] It was the iPhone 7.

It’s the footnote #6 on Apple’s compare iPhone page.
IMG_0547.jpg

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Dropped iPhone 11 in water briefly, dried it off. Screen goes black, briefly appears after reset, then disappears. Possible reasons: water damage, moisture residue, loose connections. Try: power off, avoid turning on or charging, place in rice/silica gel for 24-48 hours. If issue persists, contact Apple support or visit authorized service center.
Hello and welcome to iMore. It's nice to have you here. When you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here! Also, when you get a chance, please take a minute to review iMore's Community Rules and Guidelines: https://forums.imore.com/site-feedback-help/385947-community-rules-guidelines.html#post2913734