Why does Screen Shut off by Itself?

Ed1944

Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
iPad 10.2” 7th generation, My screen starts to go black after a very short time of no activity (less than 30 seconds). It appears to be going into sleep mode. If I touch the screen it goes back to normal immediately.This is a recent problem; I don’t know if a recent update to software version 15.2 has anything to do with it.

My question is: How can I adjust the iPad so it doesn’t time out the screen? I’ve checked all the settings and haven’t seen how to do it. Your assistance is appreciated. Thank you. Ed

edit: i noticed that when watching a video, the screen doesn’t time out.

Last edited:

Ed1944

Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
Ok. I turned off low power mode, and looks like all ok now. anyhow, is there any way to adjust screen time-out during periods ofinactivity? My other digital devices have that ability. Thank you. Ed

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I turned off low power mode, and looks like all ok now. anyhow, is there any way to adjust screen time-out during periods ofinactivity? My other digital devices have that ability. Thank you. Ed

Yes, it is possible to adjust it. It is in the Settings app, under Display & Brightness. It's the Auto-Lock setting. It's not available in Low Power Mode.

IMG_0293.PNG

Ed1944

Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for your response. I’ll no doubt not be concerned about screen shutdown time since my iPad is usually always connected to power. That being said, do you think leaving it plugged in so much can hurt the battery in any way? Or, is it better to run it on battery only for a certain time until it runs down to about 20% or so? Perhaps it doesn’t make a difference? Thanks again. Ed

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your response. I’ll no doubt not be concerned about screen shutdown time since my iPad is usually always connected to power. That being said, do you think leaving it plugged in so much can hurt the battery in any way? Or, is it better to run it on battery only for a certain time until it runs down to about 20% or so? Perhaps it doesn’t make a difference? Thanks again. Ed

Lithium Ion batteries hate being completely charged and completely discharged. So I would keep it between 50-80% state of charge, which is not that obvious to do.

To make life simple, I would follow the tips from this Apple document: https://www.apple.com/ca/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2