They’re called porch pirates

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
On the news just now in Santa Barbara the police there have a neat idea.

A out of uniform officer places a delivery on someone’s porch. Inside is a item for example a iPhone. Then the hopes the delivery will get stolen.

Now the catch is inside the box is another item called a tracking device.

Once the de;I very leaves the porch the police are notified.

Then catch the porch pirate and arrest the person.

The police of course need permission from the home owner to set this scheme up.

Then other peeps that are planning on nicking deliveries see this. That should change their minds.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As of late, the bigger problem has been delivery drivers stealing boxes instead of delivering them. Evil exits so there will always be thieves.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I never knew that. Well…..that is harder to fix. Have to always purchase a delivery confirmation number when anything is sent along with insurance.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I never knew that. Well…..that is harder to fix. Have to always purchase a delivery confirmation number when anything is sent along with insurance.

Delivery driver theft should be the responsibility of the delivery company. For example, if an Amazon driver steals my item, Amazon should reimburse me for that item then they can take up the theft with the responsible employee.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It’s getting so bad that I wouldn’t be surprised if tracker devices were included in shipments! I do like when I get a delivery confirmation that includes a photo of the package near my front door.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
It’s getting so bad that I wouldn’t be surprised if tracker devices were included in shipments! I do like when I get a delivery confirmation that includes a photo of the package near my front door.

The photo thing is all on the side of the delivery driver, what has been happening, is a minute or two later a hooded person swipes the package off the porch. Now with photo the delivery company does not want to play ball even tho hooded person gets back in van up the road. A couple of years ago my daughter was waiting for a courier to bring a new phone, just before Christmas, after waiting way,way past the estimated time, she suddenly got a text announcing her phone had been delivered half an hour ago ! I was in at the time and confirm no-one had been anywhere near the house. After hours of obstruction from the delivery company, they say they have a signature from my daughter on reception of her package. Telekinesis ? This took nearly three weeks to sort out and no apology on behalf of either company involved.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The photo thing is all on the side of the delivery driver, what has been happening, is a minute or two later a hooded person swipes the package off the porch. Now with photo the delivery company does not want to play ball even tho hooded person gets back in van up the road. A couple of years ago my daughter was waiting for a courier to bring a new phone, just before Christmas, after waiting way,way past the estimated time, she suddenly got a text announcing her phone had been delivered half an hour ago ! I was in at the time and confirm no-one had been anywhere near the house. After hours of obstruction from the delivery company, they say they have a signature from my daughter on reception of her package. Telekinesis ? This took nearly three weeks to sort out and no apology on behalf of either company involved.

That’s horrendous!

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
As of late, the bigger problem has been delivery drivers stealing boxes instead of delivering them. Evil exits so there will always be thieves.

I’m going to argue another point. If you pay them a good wage and offer them good benefits for their labor then they will not consider stealing to better their lot.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m going to argue another point. If you pay them a good wage and offer them good benefits for their labor then they will not consider stealing to better their lot.

A good deal of people steal because it’s their preference. Their mentality is why spend my money or spend my time going to the store and buying it when I can just take yours?

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Isn’t the reason people steal a ‘not one size precisely size fits all’? For teenagers, as an example, the undeveloped mind can lead to raiding mom or dad’s liquor cabinet to a candy bar at the convenience store up to a joy ride in a car that is borrowed-ish.
That’s just one example. An unattended parcel on a porch is going to tempt and the upside/downside math kicks in. The who and why gets a bit varied from there.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2