Do you trust iMessage security?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I know we all have different levels of security needs and feelings on security. That being said, especially with the recent exploits, do you trust the security iMessage provides? Do you do anything special, such as no iCloud backup, to increase security? Do you use a different messaging platform?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I use iMessages 99% of the time, and I trust it. I rarely use Facebook Messenger and am very cautious about any attachments that come through.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I know we all have different levels of security needs and feelings on security. That being said, especially with the recent exploits, do you trust the security iMessage provides? Do you do anything special, such as no iCloud backup, to increase security? Do you use a different messaging platform?

For the most part, yes.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I use iMessages 99% of the time, and I trust it. I rarely use Facebook Messenger and am very cautious about any attachments that come through.

I would never use Facebook nor it’s messaging app. They have proven time and again security is not their forte.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Following the news earlier today that journalists and other high profile people are being targeted by the Pegasus spyware, Apple has released a statement on the matter.

Whew, I’m safe. I’m not a journalist or a high profile person.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
What are some of the kinks if you don’t mind me asking?

There’s the Pegasus issue.

iMessage is only encrypted from iMessage to iMessage and not if you’re messaging someone on Android.

Then there’s the issue that Apple stores the encryption key in your iCloud backup. If someone is able to hack iCloud (I believe it’s been done before) then they have access to all your messages.

Now, it’s not like I lead a secretive life that needs government level security but, it seems, the level we we’re told to believe in may not be exactly all it’s cracked up to be. Signal it ain’t.

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I personally prefer iMessage to alternatives. To begin with, I know my messages are not used for advertisements.

The level of security it provides is good enough for my needs. For the cases where I need more security, I use an encrypted email - where me and my peer control the keys - or an in-person meeting.

iMessages and SMS/MMS not being stored in iCloud Backups, and protected with two-factor authentication helps to prevent a third-party from accessing them remotely. And I expect Apple encrypts the messages that they store on their servers with my account’s key.