Apple products for elderly

I

iMore Question

As easy as apple products are easy enough to use, the elderly will never figure it out.
I spent over an our facetime video and whatsapp video just trying to show my father how to open the ESPN app on his apple tv so that he could watch a game.
First just getting them to click the little icon on the facetime that makes it use the back camera so that he could show me what he sees on his TV took a half hour.
Then getting him to hold the camera still while he shows me the screen.
Then getting him to use the apple tv remote that you swipe. The swipe seems easy to us, but for elderly people and especailly those with parkinosns, accurate swiping is not easy. 10 minutes just to get him to select the app.

Then the app froze, and guess how hard it was to explain to him to double click the button on the remote and swipe up to close it. I ended up having him just unplug the apple tv from the electricity and plug back in.

I am sure I am not the only one that has these problems with elderly parents.

Does anyone know of some sort of remote desktop style app that I could control their apple tv or phone with in order to help them remotely?

This is something that apple really needs to take into consideration. I bet the elderly could get a lot more use out of their products with it.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! In order to continue this conversation, you may want to consider registering for an account here on iMore. If you're interested, click here to learn how to sign up!
https://forums.imore.com/ask-question/293812-guide-how-sign-up-imore.html

I completely understand what you’re saying. I used to help my late Mother Inlaw with her iPhone and Ive spent a great deal of time helping older people at church.

I’ve found that sometimes, having a physical manual or book helps them to figure things out step by step.

Amazon has several. Here’s a screenshot which shows a few:

IMG_0440.JPG

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As easy as apple products are easy enough to use, the elderly will never figure it out.
I would say some elderly people would find it difficult, whereas others would find it quite easy to use.
I spent over an our facetime video and whatsapp video just trying to show my father how to open the ESPN app on his apple tv so that he could watch a game.
How old is your father and is he willing to learn or does he want to watch ESPN the traditional way (by changing to the channel on the television)?
First just getting them to click the little icon on the facetime that makes it use the back camera so that he could show me what he sees on his TV took a half hour.
This could be related to their eyesight.
Then getting him to hold the camera still while he shows me the screen.
Then getting him to use the apple tv remote that you swipe. The swipe seems easy to us, but for elderly people and especailly those with parkinosns, accurate swiping is not easy. 10 minutes just to get him to select the app.
Being elderly and having a steady hand do not go together, especially those with Parkinson’s.

Then the app froze, and guess how hard it was to explain to him to double click the button on the remote and swipe up to close it. I ended up having him just unplug the apple tv from the electricity and plug back in.

I am sure I am not the only one that has these problems with elderly parents.

Does anyone know of some sort of remote desktop style app that I could control their apple tv or phone with in order to help them remotely?

This is something that apple really needs to take into consideration. I bet the elderly could get a lot more use out of their products with it.
This is NOT something Apple needs to take into consideration. Instead of trying to force your elderly parents to use Apple products, how about helping them get set up with what they are already accustomed to using?

Last edited:

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Just_Me_D
I think you have trouble grasping how many elderly people see things. Not a knock on you, just maybe you haven't had the experience yet.

There are some things these days only available via the "modern way".
Not knowing how to flip the camera to use the rear camera wasn't an eyesight issue. It's an understanding of basic usage of a smartphone. The button doesn't show until you tap the screen. Then the self-explanatory icon to flip the camera isn't self explanatory to the elderly. Couple that in with hearing not the best, it isn't easy to explain it to him. Add forgetfulness too.

ESPN+ has all the NHL games. That was the only place he could watch. Yes you are right that using the conventional cable remote and changing channels would be easier and familiar to him, but that option isn't available for the game he wanted.

My father is 84. He is past the age and point in his life that he wants to really learn anything. Even if he wanted, elderly people tend to not be good learners. You know the old phrase you cant teach an old dog new tricks.

And you are right, apple doesn't "need" to do it, and they don't need to do anything they don't want to. But it would be a nice addition to their products and services to help the elderly and their children who pull their hair out trying to help them use technology remotely.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just_Me_D
I think you have trouble grasping how many elderly people see things. Not a knock on you, just maybe you haven't had the experience yet.
You could very well be right. I mean, I can only go by my experience, right? I know quite a few elderly people who have no problems working an iPhone, iPad, Mac, TV, etcetera and I know some who don’t want to know how to use those things.

There are some things these days only available via the "modern way".
Not knowing how to flip the camera to use the rear camera wasn't an eyesight issue. It's an understanding of basic usage of a smartphone. The button doesn't show until you tap the screen. Then the self-explanatory icon to flip the camera isn't self explanatory to the elderly. Couple that in with hearing not the best, it isn't easy to explain it to him. Add forgetfulness too.
I understand you may be referring to your elderly parents and those you’re familiar with, but all elderly people aren’t like that.

ESPN+ has all the NHL games. That was the only place he could watch. Yes you are right that using the conventional cable remote and changing channels would be easier and familiar to him, but that option isn't available for the game he wanted.
Understood.

My father is 84. He is past the age and point in his life that he wants to really learn anything.
That is why I asked previously if it was a case of him wanting to learn or not.
Even if he wanted, elderly people tend to not be good learners. You know the old phrase you cant teach an old dog new tricks.
(Laughing)…Yes I do. :)

And you are right, apple doesn't "need" to do it, and they don't need to do anything they don't want to. But it would be a nice addition to their products and services to help the elderly and their children who pull their hair out trying to help them use technology remotely.
I get what you’re saying and yes, it would be nice.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the curt replies. I’m watching the Miami v FSU football game and trying not to break my TV….(Laughing)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
First off I’ve been doing this for my 79 year old parents for a few years now. Got them off the dummy flip phone to iPhone 4 and 4s just to learn how to make calls and learn how to tap now there using an XR and an SE 2000 but the battle continues. My father will forget what he learns a dozen times before he sorta gets it right not to mention he’s a DELETE addict. Pictures text threads emails and he swears he didn’t

Allstate App and Stop and Shop is his go to Apps but when something goes wrong it’s the this world has gone crazy I can’t reach anyone on the phone and I don’t want this phone anymore. That’s my cue to drive 35 miles to work out his problem

As for the OP Question

The new Screen Share on FaceTime helps a lot

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212734

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I know Apple has classes for many things at their stores. I don’t know if they have anything as basic as Smartphone 101 but it might be a good idea.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner