Save $30 on Apple's new 2021 iPad: $299 at Amazon

I’m looking for an external digital-to-analog converter to play Apple Music lossless at the maximum sample rates. I want to connect an iPhone to my AVR and play lossless Apple Music at the highest sample rates available. I haven’t found anything that has the appropriate connections for iPhone lightening connection. Some background info:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183
    Last edited by iKevinJ; 08-20-2021 at 09:15 AM.
    08-20-2021 08:27 AM
    I’m looking for an external digital-to-analog converter to play Apple Music lossless at the maximum sample rates. I want to connect an iPhone to my AVR and play lossless Apple Music at the highest sample rates available. I haven’t found anything that has the appropriate connections for iPhone lightening connection. Some background info:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183
    Apple lossless is 24 Bit 48k, so Apple’s $9.00 lightning port/headphone adapter will work fine, since the adapter is capable of 24 bit 48k. I bought a USB-C dongle from Amazon that uses the newer Cirrus logic low power DAC at 32 bit 384k, so it is more than capable of handling anything Apple High Resolution Lossless which is up to 24 bit 192k. I bought it for my iPad Pro and MacBook Pro. It works great with Pine Player on Mac. It can handle pretty much any format of high resolution music I through at it, other than MQA or MQX files, though it does handle DSD music fine, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JZ7LS5B...mUvbUpU3262669
    08-22-2021 06:40 PM
    Thanks. It turns out the DAC in my Denon AVR can convert and play hi-res lossless just by plugging an iPhone into it with the standard Apple iPhone Lightning cord. Apple Music is playing Lossless at 44.1 kHz and Hi-res lossless up to 192 kHz depending on the song. Next thing will be to see what kind of lossless plays over CarPlay without adding hardware, may need something for that, will keep your suggestion, but that doesn’t look like it’s for an iPhone since it is USB-c.
    scruffypig likes this.
    08-22-2021 06:52 PM
    Thanks. It turns out the DAC in my Denon AVR can convert and play hi-res lossless just by plugging an iPhone into it with the standard Apple iPhone Lightning cord. Apple Music is playing Lossless at 44.1 kHz and Hi-res lossless up to 192 kHz depending on the song. Next thing will be to see what kind of lossless plays over CarPlay without adding hardware, may need something for that, will keep your suggestion, but that doesn’t look like it’s for an iPhone since it is USB-c.
    I did get the dongle I bought to work with my iPhone 12 Pro. The dongle comes with a USB-C/USB-A adapter, so I plugged the dongle into my Lightning to USB3 Camera adapter and it worked fine.
    iKevinJ likes this.
    08-22-2021 07:04 PM
    Update to what I thought was happening. I see the same thing for lossless settings when using AirPod Pros, which are not supposed to be capable of playing hi-res lossless. So touching the lossless or hi-res lossless button on the iPhone song info is telling me what the song can play at, not what it actually is playing at.
    08-23-2021 02:12 AM
    Update to what I thought was happening. I see the same thing for lossless settings when using AirPod Pros, which are not supposed to be capable of playing hi-res lossless. So touching the lossless or hi-res lossless button on the iPhone song info is telling me what the song can play at, not what it actually is playing at.
    The music app will down sample lossless music for Bluetooth streaming to your Bluetooth headphones. Probably to AAC+ someone else might know more. I don’t use Apple Lossless or High Resolution lossless very much and especially not with Bluetooth.

I know that Apple’s Dolby Atmos music downloads two different versions of the song: regular stereo and Atmos.
    08-23-2021 02:37 PM
    The music app will down sample lossless music for Bluetooth streaming to your Bluetooth headphones. Probably to AAC+ someone else might know more. I don’t use Apple Lossless or High Resolution lossless very much and especially not with Bluetooth.

I know that Apple’s Dolby Atmos music downloads two different versions of the song: regular stereo and Atmos.
    Yeah and it’s the down sample rate that I thought was being shown when touching the Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless button on the music app page showing the song that’s playing. That’s what someone on another forum suggested. I’m now trying to determine if the music app is downsampling when I play through my Denon AVR via Lightning cord or if it’s playing at the full resolution without additional hardware. The owners manual says it can play up to 192 kHz, I’m just not sure if that’s with or without an external DAC between the iPhone and AVR or if the internal DAC in the AVR is converting it on its own.

I see this when playing to the Denon AVR and the same when playing to the AirPod Pro’s
    08-23-2021 03:32 PM
    Yeah and it’s the down sample rate that I thought was being shown when touching the Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless button on the music app page showing the song that’s playing. That’s what someone on another forum suggested. I’m now trying to determine if the music app is downsampling when I play through my Denon AVR via Lightning cord or if it’s playing at the full resolution without additional hardware. The owners manual says it can play up to 192 kHz, I’m just not sure if that’s with or without an external DAC between the iPhone and AVR or if the internal DAC in the AVR is converting it on its own.

I see this when playing to the Denon AVR and the same when playing to the AirPod Pro’s
    [IMG=474x1024]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210823/9c7c496a6fb24ecbfdeaa07e89a89b83.jpg[/url]
    Is your AVR able to display what sound format/quality it receives? That will be your best reference.
    scruffypig likes this.
    08-24-2021 12:15 PM
    Is your AVR able to display what sound format/quality it receives? That will be your best reference.
    Not that I’ve been able to find, and I have looked for it.
    Ed7789 likes this.
    08-24-2021 01:06 PM