HomePod with AppleTV seems to be causing lag?

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I recently set my AppleTV 4K to output to a stereo pair of original HomePods for Atmos audio. It sounds so much better than my 5.1 setup, but I’ve started to have lag with the Apple TV. Pause takes a few seconds, skip ahead takes a few seconds, and worst of all, it often just goes black with the buffering wheel for a few seconds to a minute (usually just as the Islanders get into the offensive zone).

I have it connected via Ethernet to a fiber Internet connection with 150 down. This is never a problem with the 5.1 setup and it never happens on the other two Apple TV’s. I really don’t want to switch back to 5.1, so I’d appreciate any advice?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible a neighbor, especially if you live in an apartment, is piggybacking off of your connection? Could your ISP provider be throttling your connection?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible a neighbor, especially if you live in an apartment, is piggybacking off of your connection? Could your ISP provider be throttling your connection?

To piggyback on your questions: do any other WiFi networks in your vicinity use the same channel(s) as yours? Choosing a free channel should reduce the issue.

Also, reducing the amount of WiFi devices should also help.

Last thing, try the Wireless Audio Sync feature on your Apple TV: Settings, Audio and Video, Wireless Audio Sync.

Note on channels (simplified): Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only non-overlapping below 36. Channels 2, 3, 4 and 5 overlap to some extent with 1 and 6. And channels 7, 8, 9, 10 overlap with 11, causing interference. These must not be confused with TV channels, which use a completely different frequency range for their channels.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711