Apple Watch Series 6 deals at Amazon: Starting at $320!

Hi,

if my AirTag is out of the reach of my iPhone, does someone else’s iPhone that airtag connects to, also have to be new version of iPhone(11 or 12)?
    05-12-2021 11:30 AM
    I found this information on Apple's Support Site (https://forums.imore.com/e?link=http...token=PUUtODhn)

"If your AirTag is nearby, your iPhone can lead you straight to it with Precision Finding.1 You‘ll see the distance to your AirTag and the direction to head in — all thanks to Ultra Wideband technology.

Precision Finding compatible with:
    iPhone 11
    iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
    iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini
    iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max"

All of these models have the U1 chip.
    Last edited by Annie_M; 05-12-2021 at 02:22 PM.
    05-12-2021 11:56 AM
    Hi,

if my AirTag is out of the reach of my iPhone, does someone else’s iPhone that airtag connects to, also have to be new version of iPhone(11 or 12)?
    Unless you mark it as missing, another iPhone shouldn't even see it.
    05-12-2021 12:00 PM
    It is possible to use older iPhones with AirTags, but without the precision of the U1 Chip. This article explains how.
    05-12-2021 02:23 PM
    It is possible to use older iPhones with AirTags, but without the precision of the U1 Chip. This article explains how.
    This is when you have older iPhone. I am interested in what happens if person who find or steal my airtag have older iPhone. Does that make any difference.
    05-12-2021 02:46 PM
    Unless you mark it as missing, another iPhone shouldn't even see it.
    You are saying that I can not see location of my airtag even when it is connected to other person’s iPhone unless I put it in missing mode?
    05-12-2021 02:48 PM
    You are saying that I can not see location of my airtag even when it is connected to other person’s iPhone unless I put it in missing mode?
    Hopefully this article will help:
    https://www.imore.com/how-put-your-airtag-lost-mode
    05-13-2021 11:31 AM
    This is when you have older iPhone. I am interested in what happens if person who find or steal my airtag have older iPhone. Does that make any difference.
    I believe that any iPhone that has Find My toggled on could detect an AirTag.
    05-13-2021 11:45 AM
    I have the same understanding. It will see the AirTag and report it to the Find My network for processing.

What would not visible on the device is what tags you have personally come across, unless they are personally yours.
    05-13-2021 03:14 PM
    As air tags are paired with your phone, can you set them up to bleep when you get more than a certain distance away from them. I often forget to take my phone with me, and I could easily carry an Air Tag on my belt,so I’m never parted from it.
    05-15-2021 06:47 AM
    But only if the AirTag is either out of range of the paired iPhone or marked as missing.

I just placed my AirTag beside my wife’s iPhone and there was no notification of a nearby AirTag.
    Annie_M likes this.
    05-15-2021 09:30 AM
    But only if the AirTag is either out of range of the paired iPhone or marked as missing.

I just placed my AirTag beside my wife’s iPhone and there was no notification of a nearby AirTag.
    Yes, exactly!
    05-16-2021 05:15 PM