Dog Portrait shots

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi again. So I'm doing a lot of dog portrait shots and I'm used to my phone being able to detect my dog's face. ALL of my dog's face. My iphone is having a hard time doing that. It would detect the nose and it would blur from that point on so the eyes and the ears would be blurry. If I focus on the eyes then the nose and the ears would be blurry. Why is the area it wants to keep in focus so narrow? Is there something I can do about that? I'm just used to my phone doing all of this stuff automatically. :( Thanks.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I have no experience taking pictures using Portrait Mode.

I usually use regular mode, and make sure the focus is the way I want it, tapping on what I want the focus to be. However, this is more difficult to do with living beings - except trees and flowers.

I’m sure someone knowing the feature better will be able to provide insights on how to capture your dog on film :)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
IMG_7926.JPG

All of our Newfies, all long gone but still cherished daily in our hearts.

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
see those are great shots. not sure if my dog's face is too long or what but i don't usually get results like that with this phone. i did with my old phone. also, thank you for being so helpful and always nice. i really appreciate it. using this phone has been very frustrating for me. and it becomes even more frustrating when i get not-so-nice replies. you and a bunch of other people take my frustration and know it's not directed towards anyone. some even understand my situation. alas, not everyone has been like that, so again, thank you! i'm glad you're also a moderator. it balances things out.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
see those are great shots. not sure if my dog's face is too long or what but i don't usually get results like that with this phone. i did with my old phone. also, thank you for being so helpful and always nice. i really appreciate it. using this phone has been very frustrating for me. and it becomes even more frustrating when i get not-so-nice replies. you and a bunch of other people take my frustration and know it's not directed towards anyone. some even understand my situation. alas, not everyone has been like that, so again, thank you! i'm glad you're also a moderator. it balances things out.

I know that you’re frustrated and disappointed with your iPhone. It could be that you’d be happier going back to Android, but only you will really know what’s right for you. As for taking photos of your dog, did you know that Apple has a free series of virtual workshops, and many of them are about photography. Before the pandemic, you could actually attend in person classes at local Apple Stores. Here’s a link to them: https://www.apple.com/today/feature/today-at-home/#mn_p

ulnek

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I know that you’re frustrated and disappointed with your iPhone. It could be that you’d be happier going back to Android, but only you will really know what’s right for you. As for taking photos of your dog, did you know that Apple has a free series of virtual workshops, and many of them are about photography. Before the pandemic, you could actually attend in person classes at local Apple Stores. Here’s a link to them: https://www.apple.com/today/feature/today-at-home/#mn_p

Oh wow thanks! I'll try it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I take it from the previous poster that you came from Android. I too did the same thing several years ago. Once you get out of the "Android mindframe" you'll be just fine.

IMG_5539.jpeg

4ECED74E-874F-4E9B-9880-B0C619838149.jpeg

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site