Score a saving on iPad Pro (2021): $100 off at Amazon

Explanation is in the photograph.

Is this a scam to install either a VPN or a anti virus programme?

Last edited by Honey Beagle; 02-17-2021 at 08:17 PM.
    02-17-2021 07:05 PM
    I’d say definitely a scam, but probably more toward getting some personal info on you.
    02-17-2021 08:14 PM
    Never sent any. I did a scan in the iPad. Here is what I found. I wonder in McAfee sent these to get me to sign up.

02-17-2021 08:17 PM
    I get quite a few spam emails saying my McAfee account has expired, and also spam Norton emails saying the same. I have neither, so just send them to my spam folder.

For them to actually add an invite or event to your calendar is a new one on me, not had that before.

Could it be that you accidentally clicked on a rogue link in a dodgy email which added the events, as there appears to be a possible dodgy URL associated with the event?
    02-18-2021 05:45 AM
    Not for Macafee.
    02-18-2021 10:36 AM
    Look at the URL. Definitely a phishing attempt.
    Annie_M likes this.
    02-18-2021 11:00 AM
    The web address is in this photograph.

Nothing about fishing.

Could this be real?-img_9191.jpg

I looked this up and saw this .

Last edited by Honey Beagle; 02-18-2021 at 01:13 PM.
    02-18-2021 12:27 PM
    I'm curious how the app or website got permission to enter something into your calendar app. Usually, the user would have to "confirm" it before anything is allowed make changes. Weird!
    02-19-2021 11:21 PM
    True. This has happened to other peeps as well. As I was reading this not a real threat. Just a few settings so these will not appear anymore.
    02-20-2021 12:05 AM
    True. This has happened to other peeps as well. As I was reading this not a real threat. Just a few settings so these will not appear anymore.
    So what settings did you change?
    Annie_M likes this.
    02-20-2021 04:51 AM
    I'm curious how the app or website got permission to enter something into your calendar app. Usually, the user would have to "confirm" it before anything is allowed make changes. Weird!
    This could have happened by email, through a calendar invite. Many mail servers, like a business’s Exchange servers, will automatically pick up invites (.ical text files) and register them into your calendar - although in a pending state.

I'm not saying this is what happened here, but it's a possible path.
    02-20-2021 08:53 AM
    Based upon the 02-17-2021 08:17 PM screenshot above, it appears that the error on the screen may be related to Windows and the OneDrive app. I searched with "windows 10 c\users\onedrive this file does not have an app associated" and see some articles that might be related. I would only click on official links from Microsoft in case the other links have articles that recommend installing "fixing software" that may actually be malware. I did not include the official Microsoft links here as it is my understanding that posting external links in the iMore forums is discouraged.

Windows Central Forums https://forums.windowscentral.com may be a place where forum users have experienced the problem or have some ideas on how to resolve. I searched the Windows Central Forum with the same search term above, but did not see anything relevant. I may not be searching correctly, so suggest asking in the Windows Central Forums. If I understand correctly, if you have an iMore or Android Central account, then you might be able to use that to sign into the Windows Central Forums so that you can monitor replies to your post.

The other suggestion I'd like to offer is to ensure that you have a reputable antivirus program installed and running on your Windows computer, and that the antivirus program is up to date and set to automatically scan.
    02-20-2021 09:21 AM
    Don’t care about Windows. Never had a problem with Windows. But great reply.
    02-20-2021 12:10 PM
    What I did is disable the notices. Then doing that the weird invites were deleted. From then on these never showed up anymore.

For more details this can be searched out like I did.
    02-20-2021 12:15 PM