Why is the iPhone unable to provide a clipboard history of items copied?

db Jones

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Why is iPhone unable to provide a clipboard history of items copied (i.e., for basic copy/paste)? It ONLY keeps one copied item at a time in memory, which seems so incomplete and insufficient in this day and age!

I didn’t paste a clipped (“cut”) item quick enough, for example, and lost that significant block of text forever!!!!!

This is a major deficiency in their supposedly robust OS. Has anyone insight on this?

Last edited:

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Re: No Clipboard History on iOS???

It has always been like this. Probably better to copy and paste, then at least you have a spare copy.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

It’s by design, with all the apps caught spying on the clipoard on iOS 14, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

If you are copying a password from a password manager, it won’t last more than 5-10 minutes before the os deletes it. Once again it’s by design.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Why is iPhone unable to provide a clipboard history of items copied (i.e., for basic copy/paste)? It ONLY keeps one copied item at a time in memory, which seems so incomplete and insufficient in this day and age!

I didn’t paste a clipped (“cut”) item quick enough, for example, and lost that significant block of text forever!!!!!

This is a major deficiency in their supposedly robust OS. Has anyone insight on this?

Hello and welcome to iMore. I realize that the answer "it's always been this way" can be frustrating. However, in this instance, it's right... because it's intentional for all the reasons already given. What I do is type up a message in the Notes App and then copy and paste. It works every time!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
In that same app you copied from, you can shake your device to undo the last action.
This will put the cut text back where it was.

Also, all above replies are valid.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh