wi-fi extenders?

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
do most Wi-Fi extenders work well or do you recommend them? I’m thinking about getting one because I have a couple dead spots in my house but I didn’t know if they work well or what I should get

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
do most Wi-Fi extenders work well or do you recommend them? I’m thinking about getting one because I have a couple dead spots in my house but I didn’t know if they work well or what I should get

I live in a small house and have only one computer that’s connected through a cable to internet. And a HomeKit camera from Eufy that’s close to the internet router.
So I don’t need an extender anytime soon.
The best thing you could do is read reviews about various extenders and make your choice based on that.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Would a mesh system work with my current modem/router from my current ISP or what I need to get a separate modem and then get the mesh

It should work with your current one. You just plug it in the the router and then link them with the app. At least that’s how mine worked. My husband is my IT guy but I did it myself. I have the Deco three pack by Kasa in a 2,400 square foot upstairs/downstairs home with one room a complete dead zone. They are more than enough and I get great WiFi in that dead zone now.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest to avoid Wi-Fi Extenders, because they use the same antenna for the backbone traffic, cutting the exender's available connection speed in half. Mesh systems will usually use a dedicated antenna to connect between them, and support handoff between the nodes/devices.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I would spend my money on a mesh system. I wasn’t happy when I tried extenders and went for the Orbi system. I am so happy with my WiFi now

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
A different perspective here.
Yes, mesh systems are 'better', and technologically more sophisticated.
However, they are way more expensive than extenders.

It very much depends on your use case.
Example: I live in an apartment with the wifi router being located in the living room.
In my bedroom, I use to do some video streaming, and of course do stuff on my phone from time to time (I know I shouldn't).
The wifi signal is weak in my bedroom, and makes my Netflix & Prime videos stutter often. Also, my phone does too much data transfer via LTE for my taste. So I purchased an extender (Fritz 310, $30,-) and installed it half way between living- and bedroom.
Now everything works perfectly.
No mesh needed.

If I eg would live in a big house, with 2 or more floors and more than 3 rooms, then mesh would be the (much more expensive) way to go. In my current room situation, the extender is more than sufficient.
I'm kind of a tech nerd, so I would love to own and operate a mesh system. But it's just not needed! So I satisfied my desire by installing & playing with a mesh network in my son's house, which is big and fulfills the requirements for such an investment.

Just my 5c.

And by the way, the extender that I purchased can easily be integrated in a mesh network, should I ever move to a place with a more demanding layout.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
A different perspective here.
Yes, mesh systems are 'better', and technologically more sophisticated.
However, they are way more expensive than extenders.

It very much depends on your use case.
Example: I live in an apartment with the wifi router being located in the living room.
In my bedroom, I use to do some video streaming, and of course do stuff on my phone from time to time (I know I shouldn't).
The wifi signal is weak in my bedroom, and makes my Netflix & Prime videos stutter often. Also, my phone does too much data transfer via LTE for my taste. So I purchased an extender (Fritz 310, $30,-) and installed it half way between living- and bedroom.
Now everything works perfectly.
No mesh needed.

If I eg would live in a big house, with 2 or more floors and more than 3 rooms, then mesh would be the (much more expensive) way to go. In my current room situation, the extender is more than sufficient.
I'm kind of a tech nerd, so I would love to own and operate a mesh system. But it's just not needed! So I satisfied my desire by installing & playing with a mesh network in my son's house, which is big and fulfills the requirements for such an investment.

Just my 5c.

And by the way, the extender that I purchased can easily be integrated in a mesh network, should I ever move to a place with a more demanding layout.

Thanks for a great detailed explanation. I don’t understand any of this (I leave all this up to my husband)! So now I understand a bit more about all of this!

iKevinJ

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
I added a wi-if extender to my house to try to improve the wi-fi signal to my Peloton which is on the opposite side of the house from the router. I ended up putting it in a room halfway between and it helped noticeably to improve the wi-fi signal to the room with the Peloton, garage, and outside. Cost about $100 for the one I bought.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
i’m gonna try to explain this. My router is currently at least 30 feet away from the room with my Apple TV, Alexa (Alexa not giving me problems) In the room that I Watch TV, I use my iPad along with my iPhone. My router is wired into my Mac. The room with my Wi-Fi router currently has to travel between walls and around corners. My ISP offers three pack of mesh wi-Fi pods. Do you guys recommend I get these. (Cox communications in Oklahoma)

Do you guys understand what I’m trying to say

Last edited:

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
i’m gonna try to explain this. My router is currently at least 30 feet away from the room with my Apple TV, Alexa (Alexa not giving me problems) In the room that I Watch TV, I use my iPad along with my iPhone. My router is wired into my Mac. The room with my Wi-Fi router currently has to travel between walls and around corners. My ISP offers three pack of mesh wi-Fi pods. Do you guys recommend I get these. (Cox communications in Oklahoma)

Do you guys understand what I’m trying to say

I think I understand.
Will try to answer, without knowing the location and the exact parameters.

The mesh system that you got offered will most likely work (I am 99.5% sure).
I GUESS it won't be 'cheap' (or better: more expensive than a good extender, I am 99.5% sure).
A mesh system with 3 pods for a place with a 30ft distance between router and receiver is PROBABLY much more than needed (unless you have radiation protective led covered walls in between).

But if you don't mind the costs, go and get it.

If you want the most cost effective solution, try a good extender, half way between the router and your problematic devices.
I am 90% sure this will be sufficient.

If you want to analyze the situation in more detail, before deciding:

Stand half way (15ft) apart from your router, on the way to the final 30ft location, with your phone, iPad and (if any possible) with your Apple TV. Make sure SOME of the obstacles that you mentioned (walls) are in between this position and the router (no visual contact to the router, this would make any finding pointless).
If the signal is strong and your connection seems trouble-free, then a solution with an extender (installed at this 15ft distanced location where you stood testing your devices) will almost for sure be sufficient.
95% certainty.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I think I understand.
Will try to answer, without knowing the location and the exact parameters.

The mesh system that you got offered will most likely work (I am 99.5% sure).
I GUESS it won't be 'cheap' (or better: more expensive than a good extender, I am 99.5% sure).
A mesh system with 3 pods for a place with a 30ft distance between router and receiver is PROBABLY much more than needed (unless you have radiation protective led covered walls in between).

But if you don't mind the costs, go and get it.

If you want the most cost effective solution, try a good extender, half way between the router and your problematic devices.
I am 90% sure this will be sufficient.

If you want to analyze the situation in more detail, before deciding:

Stand half way (15ft) apart from your router, on the way to the final 30ft location, with your phone, iPad and (if any possible) with your Apple TV. Make sure SOME of the obstacles that you mentioned (walls) are in between this position and the router (no visual contact to the router, this would make any finding pointless).
If the signal is strong and your connection seems trouble-free, then a solution with an extender (installed at this 15ft distanced location where you stood testing your devices) will almost for sure be sufficient.
95% certainty.

Thank you for the explanation, this really helps

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
what is the difference between a Wi-Fi extender and Wi-Fi Wi-Fi repeater? Do extenders work better? Are you able to install a access point in your house?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
what is the difference between a Wi-Fi extender and Wi-Fi Wi-Fi repeater? Do extenders work better? Are you able to install a access point in your house?

The Wi-Fi extender uses a wired connection whereas the Wi-Fi repeater does not.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711