Can you recommend alternatives to the AirPods?

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I have 1st gen Airpods which I rarely use. With my daily use iphone earpods broken apart, I planned to use my 1st gen airpods for the replacement. Unfortunately, I just found out that the batt has already damaged / drained (not even last 1 minutes) - in addition, several weeks previously, I also found out that my apple pencil’s batt also damaged (can’t even connect whatsover)

So, 3 apple’s accessories all broken in 1 month

I really regret to purchase these 2 expensive things, which I just aware can only long last for 2-3 years.

I’m blabbering, sorry for that. I’m annoyed

So, I want to purchased either wired earphones or wireless earphone.

What I’m looking for is good call quality (background noise cancellation is a big plus) and basis sound quality (earpods or airpods alike should be fine)

Anyone can share any good recommendation ? Either wired earphone or wireless is ok
I don’t want to purchase any other premium price such as airpods just to be regret later on after 2 years

I watch some youtube review galaxy buds+ is quite good, but I’m afraid the batterylife can only work for 2-3 years.

Thx

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Re: Airpods alternatives

I use Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 earbuds.
Extremely good sound.
A variety of different size tips. Fit well in the ear.
Good connection to my iPhone.
Charging case means up to 45 hours of play before charging.
Comfortable.
About $100 on Amazon.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

Below are a few you may find to your liking.

Sony WF-1000XM3
Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2
Anker Libert Air 2

[FONT=&]

[/FONT]

Thx for your suggestion

Sony WF-1000XM3 and Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 is out of my budget

I'm considering Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2 and Galaxy Buds+. I'm watched many youtube review, which all the call quality test seems okay, it seems like it's another different story if I want to use these earphones to have conference calls on my PC/Mac (microsoft team and skype). I read many users complained about the call quality with these meetings app. And now I'm confused and not sure anymore

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

I use Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 earbuds.
Extremely good sound.
A variety of different size tips. Fit well in the ear.
Good connection to my iPhone.
Charging case means up to 45 hours of play before charging.
Comfortable.
About $100 on Amazon.

It’s a good quality brand, but the earphone is too big. I don’t think i can wear it to sleep

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thx for your suggestion

Sony WF-1000XM3 and Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 is out of my budget

I'm considering Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2 and Galaxy Buds+. I'm watched many youtube review, which all the call quality test seems okay, it seems like it's another different story if I want to use these earphones to have conference calls on my PC/Mac (microsoft team and skype). I read many users complained about the call quality with these meetings app. And now I'm confused and not sure anymore

I used to use the AirPods for conference calls until I gave them to my son. Now I use the Bose Sound Sport earbuds. Their wired, but serve my purpose for them and the call quality has been very good. When I work from, I mostly use my Blue Yeti mic in conjunction with my sound sport earbuds. Every now and then I’ll use my Bose QC-35s.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I think all Bluetooth and wired earbuds are going to have a certain life expectancy. My wired BOSE lasted about two years before one side stopped working and of course batteries for Bluetooth eventually wear out. I wish they did last 5+ years, but I've never experienced that.
As far as an alternative to the Apple AirPods, there's a plethora of Bluetooth earbuds on the market nowadays at all price points. It really depends on the individual and what their looking for in a set and how much they're willing to spend. Good Luck with your decision.
I will probably stick with my AirPods Pro because of the simple connections between all of my Apple products.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
If price is an issue, the buds I have that deliver the best bang for the buck are the TaoTronics Sound Liberty 79s. $50, comfortable, sound is good, and call quality is actually quite excellent.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Finally I bought the Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2 (thx @Just_Me_D for the recommendation)

A little bit out of budget, but it's ok. Sounds great on my iphone (with the EQ app setting from soundcore), and I'm a dumb user, not a dedicated music listener anyway
Connectivity pretty easy for iphone and PC, but kind of confusing switching left right on my PC call, which as expected from windows
Call quality and connectivity for answering call should have no issue (for now), can't confirm before using it with the real phone call and PC call
Haven't tried mac yet, too lazy to try

That would be difficult. I don’t sleep with headphones in.

Hope my ear won't hurt using this liberty air 2. I tend to sleep on the side and sometimes I just want to listen to music for few minutes. If it's not comfortable, maybe I just use my lightning earbuds from iphone, which I supposed is easier for me to not have to pay special attention to the small tws buds

I used to use the AirPods for conference calls until I gave them to my son. Now I use the Bose Sound Sport earbuds. Their wired, but serve my purpose for them and the call quality has been very good. When I work from, I mostly use my Blue Yeti mic in conjunction with my sound sport earbuds. Every now and then I’ll use my Bose QC-35s.

Honestly, if I have spare earbuds with the 3.5mm jack from iphone, I won't be looking for new earphone. I even just realized that my 1st gen airpods drained because of my daily use earbuds broken. Using wired earbuds for PC call is enough for me. The funny thing is, my sister also has the same case with me, she just realized that her right pods has battery drained as well, and I read some posting in the net, some other people also has the same case. It's all because of the WFH, and we need earphone to work ;p

To be honest, I think all Bluetooth and wired earbuds are going to have a certain life expectancy. My wired BOSE lasted about two years before one side stopped working and of course batteries for Bluetooth eventually wear out. I wish they did last 5+ years, but I've never experienced that.
As far as an alternative to the Apple AirPods, there's a plethora of Bluetooth earbuds on the market nowadays at all price points. It really depends on the individual and what their looking for in a set and how much they're willing to spend. Good Luck with your decision.
I will probably stick with my AirPods Pro because of the simple connections between all of my Apple products.

If it's so, I don't think I will buy another premium price's tws (or other small batt devices alike) which can just last 2 years ahead. It's just not worth it for me. But that's jut me with my tight budget. Airpods built quality is good as usual from Apple product, but they should have warned us regarding the batterylife, or it just me who don't aware of this.

If price is an issue, the buds I have that deliver the best bang for the buck are the TaoTronics Sound Liberty 79s. $50, comfortable, sound is good, and call quality is actually quite excellent.

I heard of this brand as well from several youtube review videos I watched, but too lazy to find out more. Too many choices makes my head hurt

thx all for your suggestion

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
While I really wasn’t planning on getting AirPod Pros, it got a (very small) discount due to employers, so I bought them and really like them.

I also have an old pair of LG HBS900 that I have connected to the bedroom Apple TV so I can watch tv and not disturb the wife. Can’t believe they are still working and have great battery love seeing as how old they are.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Finally I bought the Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2 (thx @Just_Me_D for the recommendation)....
You’re very welcome

Honestly, if I have spare earbuds with the 3.5mm jack from iphone, I won't be looking for new earphone. I even just realized that my 1st gen airpods drained because of my daily use earbuds broken. Using wired earbuds for PC call is enough for me. The funny thing is, my sister also has the same case with me, she just realized that her right pods has battery drained as well, and I read some posting in the net, some other people also has the same case. It's all because of the WFH, and we need earphone to work ;p .....

I probably have about 3 or 4 pairs of earbuds still in the box and have never been used.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I am using the PowerBeats Pro ear buds. They are made by Apple, have the H1 chip and fully Siri compatible. They have the hooks that fit over your ear to prevent the buds from falling out. 9 hours of battery life per ear bud. Watch for sales on The Apple Store, and other retailers.

turner90

Oct 1, 2020
Visit site
I have Huawei Freebuds 3 best sound, what distinguishes it from the rest of the Airpods pack is its Active Noise Cancelling technology. Though the Huawei FreeBuds will set you back quite the same amount as the AirPods.