Deleting items from iPhone

Mike Papadopoulos1

May 29, 2020
Visit site
I want to delete some important notes from my iPhone. They are currently backed up in iCloud. Once I delete the notes and my phone eventually performs another backup, will the notes get deleted from iCloud as well, or do they permanently stay in iCloud?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Backing up to iCloud is not the same as syncing with iCloud. A backup can be restored - meaning if you have a backup containing important notes then that backup file can be restored at a later date.

If the notes are synced with iCloud then if you delete the notes from iCloud the results will sync to any device configured with that same Apple ID. In other words, if you delete them from iCloud then they will be deleted from your devices.

Mike Papadopoulos1

May 29, 2020
Visit site
Thank you! How do I know the difference? In other words, my iPhone automatically backs up every 24 hours, so I understand that the notes will not get deleted from a mere backup, but when do I know that it is syncing rather than merely backing up? Is syncing iPhone to iCloud something that I physically have to do manually or is it also automatic?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
THANKS TO YOUR ADVICE I LOST EVERYTHING!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I doubt that. If you can tell me that your iPhone automatically backs up to iCloud every 24 hours like you did in your second post then you knew it was an automatic process.

I made it perfectly clear that whatever is deleted in iCloud will be deleted from your devices.

With that being said, since you have backup, simply restore one of them to retrieve your lost notes, if they were indeed backed up.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Mike. When you delete notes from your notes app, they stay in your back up until the next back up. That next back up overwrites the previous back up. So those notes you deleted will no longer be in the iCloud back up. Backing up to iCloud is not the same as storing files like you would photos to Dropbox. A back up only backs up what is currently on your iPhone.
Did you check the "Recently Deleted" folder in the Notes app? They should remain there for 30 days.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
THANKS TO YOUR ADVICE I LOST EVERYTHING!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Please remember that we are all volunteers, doing our best to help people navigate their issues and troubles with Apple products and iOS. It's very easy to get frustrated, but PLEASE be patient, and do not take your frustrations out on the volunteers that are trying to help you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234