iCloud and Apple Services vs. Onedrive and Microsoft Services

I

iMore Question

I have been torn for sometime now regarding what system I should buy into.

I have all Apple products. Watch. Phone. iPad and MacBook. So Apple services make sense. And I love the simplicity.

Thing I’m noticing is that I use and have used an Outlook.com email address since hotmail. So my mail email is Outlook. And Microsoft apps on Apple products are very solid!

Apple integrates better but I like the cross platform compatibility of Microsoft. 95% of the time I’m use my Apple products so always have the apps I need.

Any advice or what have you all done or think about this situation?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why not use them all? I mean, I’m all in on Apple products, but I’m not limited to their services.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I was an Android/Google user for years. Then I also made the switch (completely) to the dark side:
iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, iMac, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, Apple TV, Airpods

There's nothing wrong with staying with only one platform or using others. I'm 99% iCloud user but also use Dropbox. Never created an Outlook account as I never felt the need. Now I just have my Gmail address forwarded to my iCloud address.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join iMore.

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I have been torn for sometime now regarding what system I should buy into.

I have all Apple products. Watch. Phone. iPad and MacBook. So Apple services make sense. And I love the simplicity.

Thing I’m noticing is that I use and have used an Outlook.com email address since hotmail. So my mail email is Outlook. And Microsoft apps on Apple products are very solid!

Apple integrates better but I like the cross platform compatibility of Microsoft. 95% of the time I’m use my Apple products so always have the apps I need.

Any advice or what have you all done or think about this situation?

I am kind of similar. I use hotmail, got my hotmail address back in 1999 before MS bought them. I use Onedrive for sync. But everything else is apple. I use iCloud Drive to have some docs for my Mac and iPad, but it's not extensive. I use OneNote, Microsoft todo, but I don't use Outlook email client. MS office.
It's a bummer the macOS photos app doesn't really work with OneDrive. It's really setup to use with iCloud. but, oh well.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have a Hotmail account which I access via the stock mail app on my iPhone or iPad. I do use Microsoft office all the time. That’s the one thing I really have missed on my iPad. I do not use Outlook at all or one drive. Everything else is Apple!