I am assuming that there will be much less appetite for all things manufactured in China, and I am hoping that Apple will get out in front of this.
    04-15-2020 12:30 PM
    Apple iPhones are designed in the US but manufactured mostly in China

That said I’m not sure they can keep the volume in production here to meet there quotas
    04-15-2020 12:34 PM
    I am assuming that there will be much less appetite for all things manufactured in China, and I am hoping that Apple will get out in front of this.
    If you’re willing to pay up to twice as much for iPhones and all the other things Apple makes, then it’s very easy for Apple to pull their production to the States.

But like the rest of the world, I don’t want to pay more if I can pay less.
    Golurk likes this.
    04-15-2020 01:25 PM
    First of all, hello and welcome to iMore. In order to continue this conversation, you may want to consider registering for an account here on iMore. If you're interested, click here to learn how to sign up!
    04-15-2020 01:40 PM
    Apple currently only makes the Mac Pro in the US. That’s the most expensive item them sell ranging from $6k-$60k. If the iPhone was made here, it would cost 2-3 times the currently MSRP in the US alone. Like it or not labor is cheaper in Asia, and publicly held companies reduce cost to maximize profit for the company and shareholders. They will produce product wherever they can accomplish that. That being said I highly doubt they will expand manufacturing to the US, no matter what random statements or bullying our Cheeto in Chief tweets out, as he has in the past. The Foxconn site in Wisconsin stands empty to this day. If Apple moved the manufacturing out of China, they will probably go to India, where they are assembling the 6S currently.
    04-15-2020 05:04 PM
    I am sure someone has done the sums, and if you care, research the subject.I am sure you can get closer than all these vague ( just lots more) figures.
    04-15-2020 05:46 PM
    In reality, probably never. Mexico maybe, but not in the US.
    04-16-2020 09:22 AM
    Yeah ... "never" is the answer.

Or if you are holding your breath waiting, you should go ahead and exhale now.

Not happening.
    04-16-2020 06:25 PM
    My goodness, who the hell cares if the iPhone is manufactured in the United States? Just buy your iPhone and use it.
    nikkisharif, joemd60 and Golurk like this.
    04-17-2020 12:01 PM
    My goodness, who the hell cares if the iPhone is manufactured in the United States? Just buy your iPhone and use it.
    ^This
    Annie_M and joemd60 like this.
    04-18-2020 08:43 AM
    So Apple can't make the iPhone in the US because of cost?...Oh that's right because now the 400% (approx) profit would go down to 200% (approx) profit...LOL
    04-18-2020 10:57 AM
    So Apple can't make the iPhone in the US because of cost?...Oh that's right because now the 400% (approx) profit would go down to 200% (approx) profit...LOL
    Don’t think assembling the iPhone in america will ever be feasible.

Apple would be wasting not just money but also time shipping all the components from China to the US just to have it assembled there vs having the phone assembled in the same country that manufactures all the iPhone components.

It is more efficient to just ship the finished singular product instead of the entire supply chain from China to the US.
    BreakingKayfabe and Golurk like this.
    04-18-2020 11:09 AM
    Assuming this is accurate, if it was my company, I wouldn’t move manufacturing to the United States from China either.
    Golurk and nikkisharif like this.
    04-18-2020 11:42 AM
    Probably for manufacturing items like PPE and other medical equipment, but not iPhones. A little "Made in the USA" label on the back instead of "Made in China" isn't worth a hundred dollars or more to most people.
    05-06-2020 05:12 AM
    Probably for manufacturing items like PPE and other medical equipment, but not iPhones. A little "Made in the USA" label on the back instead of "Made in China" isn't worth a hundred dollars or more to most people.
    If the devices were made in USA, they would cost 600% more and be 600% more likely to stop working.
    BreakingKayfabe and Golurk like this.
    05-06-2020 07:15 AM