Home iMore Q&A > Ask a Question

Can I delete photos from my iPad without deleting them from my iPhone?

Asked: Mar 26 2020 | 10:52 am EDT 842 Views 6 Answers View Best Answer

I tend to use my phone more than my iPad. I have a lot of pictures on my phone. I don’t want them on my iPad. Is there a way to delete pictures without them being deleted from your phone? Do I have to sign out of my iCloud account on my iPad to do that or is there a workaround?

Best Answer

Mar 26 2020 | 11:14 am EDT Just_Me_D

Disable iCloud photos on your iPad and remove them, but know that if you enable that option, the photos in iCloud will sync to your iPad.

More Answers

Mar 26 2020 | 11:32 am EDT Lee_Bo

Disable iCloud photos on your iPad and remove them, but know that if you enable that option, the photos in iCloud will sync to your iPad.
In my best Sam Elliott voice:

Exactly right.
Mar 26 2020 | 1:01 pm EDT Chris Cook5

you can keep iCloud on together but just toggle the photos off right
Mar 26 2020 | 2:34 pm EDT Just_Me_D

you can keep iCloud on together but just toggle the photos off right
Correct, sir.
Mar 27 2020 | 8:49 am EDT Wotchered

I have never used iCloud for photos and my iPad and iPhone photo libraries are completely discrete, but I don’t take many photos and tend to delete them when their purpose is done,so this might not suit most people.
Mar 27 2020 | 9:08 am EDT Just_Me_D

I have never used iCloud for photos and my iPad and iPhone photo libraries are completely discrete, but I don’t take many photos and tend to delete them when their purpose is done,so this might not suit most people.
Like you, I don’t take or maintain a lot of photos and videos on my devices. After a while, I’ll offload then to OneDrive and my external hard drive and then delete them from iCloud. The few that remain on my iPhone are of my kids and grandson for the most part.