My husband has died

I

iMore Question

HOW DO I DELETE HIS YAHOO EMAIL? I don’t know his password.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I have direct experience with this, when my sister died 11 years ago. We never even worried about her email UNTIL my mom was getting spam email from her deceased daughter. Seems a spammer got hold of her inactive account. Same situation we did not know her password. After many, MANY emails and a few calls I finally got in touch with Yahoo legal. All I wanted them to do was change her password to prevent the spammer from accessing her account. They wanted probate documents (interestingly I work for the Philadelphia Register of Wills). Unfortunately Yahoo was the only place that wanted this. She died with a surviving spouse, my brother in law. I was NOT going to make him go through probating the estate for just 1 thing. What I did instead was to filter my mom's email box so she would no longer get these upsetting emails.

I also give you my most sincere condolences.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
I, too, offer my condolences for your loss. If you are the Executor for your husband's estate, you could simply send proof of that along with a copy of the Death Certificate to Yahoo and they should close the account.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I, too, offer my condolences for your loss. If you are the Executor for your husband's estate, you could simply send proof of that along with a copy of the Death Certificate to Yahoo and they should close the account.

Yes this is exactly what you need to do. HOWEVER often between a husband and wife all the assets are jointly held, and there is little or no need to register the will, or get a Letter of Administration. IF you do decide you want to go this route, contact your local, Register of Wills, Probate Court, or Surrogates Office. (It's name can vary) They should be able to help.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
For this very reason I keep all my passwords in a password program and change that password every 45 days. I keep that one password written on a sheet or paper in our safety deposit box at the bank. If something happens to me, my wife can then get that paper with the password to my password app and then will have access to all my accounts.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
To the OP: in order to continue this conversation, you may want to consider registering for an account here on iMore. If you're interested, click here to learn how to sign up!