I realize that this is probably a really dumb question, but do you have to have your iPhone within Bluetooth range in order to stream music (ie, iHeartRadio or pandora) on your watch?

When I bought the series 5 watch I was looking forward to completely ditching the phone whenever I was out in the shop, working out at the gym, etc. I have the cellular watch and the phone and message reception works great, but unless I’m missing something, I can’t listen to streaming music unless the phone is very close. There also seems to be other apps that are on the watch that don’t work without the phone.

When I bought the watch I thought it would play any of its apps as long as I had the cellular version. Is that not correct or could I have a setting set incorrectly?
    01-20-2020 11:43 AM
    "If you're connected to Wi-Fi or cellular on your Apple Watch Series 3 or later, you can stream Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, and audiobooks, even when you’re away from your iPhone."

Source:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204691
    01-20-2020 02:43 PM
    So apparently you can ONLY stream music from Apple related products?

I have the iHeartRadio and pandora apps on the watch, but they only allow me to control the music via Bluetooth that’s playing on the phone.
    01-20-2020 04:22 PM
    So apparently you can ONLY stream music from Apple related products?

I have the iHeartRadio and pandora apps on the watch, but they only allow me to control the music via Bluetooth that’s playing on the phone.
    That’s correct! Streaming is only available using Apple services.
    01-21-2020 03:11 PM
    Interesting. Never really gave this a second thought since all I stream is Apple Music. Not that I'm aware, none of my other music apps have the ability to be installed on my watch.
    01-21-2020 05:08 PM
    I've been thinking about this, and it occurred to me that some of the Music Streaming services may have Apps available for use on the Apple Watch. After doing some sleuthing, I found this article here on iMore: https://www.imore.com/best-music-apps-apple-watch. And here is another article from iGeeks Blog that offers some other possibilities: https://www.igeeksblog.com/best-apple-watch-music-apps/

Hopefully, this will give you the information you are looking for.
    01-21-2020 05:23 PM
    I appreciate the research and help. It appears that only the Apple products will directly run off of the watch without the phone being present. It’s kind of aggravating when they advertise second party apps on the watch but they really only control the app on the phone.
    01-22-2020 09:51 PM
    Not that I'm aware, none of my other music apps have the ability to be installed on my watch.
    01-28-2020 06:58 AM