Could trouble be brewing for Apple?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Trouble brewing for Apple?

Honest question, what is "mid-range"?

In my mind, low range would be in the $400 range and below. Mid would be up to around $800, maybe? Above $800 and now you're in the top tier devices from Samsung and Apple.

The XR comes in around $750. Is that not considered midrange?

Mid range as far as I’ve seen is generally about $250-$500. That’s using fairly new processors and everything. The Pixel 3a starts at $400 and is 90% the same phone as the $800 Pixel 3.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Trouble brewing for Apple?

Mid range as far as I’ve seen is generally about $250-$500. That’s using fairly new processors and everything. The Pixel 3a starts at $400 and is 90% the same phone as the $800 Pixel 3.

Same price comparison true with the A ( mid-range) vs S ( high end) Samsung Galaxy lines.... What may be compromised in 'mid range' may be in build quality more than performance & features.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

I agree with you but I think the majority disagrees. From what I’ve been reading, I think people consider 400-600 midrange, since a lot of them think paying a grand for a device is excessive. People also don’t look at the XR as having a midrange price. It’s just considered the least expensive iPhone.

Agree.
I bought my 128gb red XR used for about $500. So I got mine midrange!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

So, there's a low range category under $250? What would those be, flip phones?

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

We all know  doesn’t like making cheap feeling products. So budget phones are definitely out. The only way they’ll make a “cheap” phone is if it’s an upgrade of the SE, as was mentioned above. I am betting that’s coming sooner rather than later.

My wife, after breaking her SE, just went and got another one cause she didn’t want to have to buy a new case. I found that strange, but the SE isn’t a bad phone at all. It’s still pretty powerful and has a good camera. She’s happy enough and it proves that some people still prefer the smaller devices. I hope  realizes this and upgrades that model.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

There's rumor of a new 5.4" iPhone similar to the SE, but edge to edge style screen. If true, the price would likely be lower than the XR. Maybe not $400 though.
5df4ec40629e13e62f3932e85b157a92.jpg

I wish they would produce that SE size phone ! if they do I’ll be on it in 2022-3, we should have started to work the bugs out of 5 by then.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site

IF Apple released a phone with the same dimensions or slightly bigger as the iPhone 6/7/8, had a single rear f/1.8 camera with OIS and a 7MP selfie camera, A10X Fusion CPU, was made out of Aluminium with IP65/IP66, had a design like the XR (thicker bezels) and a screen size of 5.3-5.5 inches (FHD Retina LCD) and maybe even a jack...would you buy it for $400-500?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Time after time they get the price wrong for most consumers.

That’s debatable. You don’t sell million of iPhones annually and get the price wrong, in my opinion.

With prices now hovering around the thousand dollar mark, people are less likely to purchase the iPhone as frequently as before, but that won’t stop actual sales to a large segment of consumers.

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site

If Apple ventures into the mid-range (however, that is defined), they almost certainly would have to use lower quality materials, and maybe compromise on some of the individual phone adjustments they do for their present phones. Apple's reputation would suffer, and their margins would suffer. Maybe, APple should set up a separate company they own that could do midrange phones?

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

More or less a a parallel to what many Air Lines have done - setting a 'low-cost' model for an Airline ( with its own unique branding) within the structure of the mainline carrier.....

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

That’s debatable. You don’t sell million of iPhones annually and get the price wrong, in my opinion.

With prices now hovering around the thousand dollar mark, people are less likely to purchase the iPhone as frequently as before, but that won’t stop actual sales to a large segment of consumers.

But sales are dropping, thus the price increases.
Will be interested to see what the newest offerings cost. They could certainly produce a mid tier phone, per Apple specs, and sell quite a few. Either people are going to hold on to their devices longer or they will buy one of the mid tier. Seems worth investigating.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site

There's rumor of a new 5.4" iPhone similar to the SE, but edge to edge style screen. If true, the price would likely be lower than the XR. Maybe not $400 though.
5df4ec40629e13e62f3932e85b157a92.jpg

The rumors of a 5.4” phone I’ve seen have seemed to say the 5.4” would replace the 5.8” in 2020. The lineup would be

5.4” OLED 5G Flagship replacing X, XS, 11 Pro

6.1” LCD continuing to in between spec’d

6.7” OLED 5G Flagship replacing Max and Max Pro

I’d personally love to go from 5.8” to 5.4” if I can’t also get improved battery which seems difficult except I’ve heard the 5G build does allow for larger batteries. Who knows?

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site

The rumors of a 5.4” phone I’ve seen have seemed to say the 5.4” would replace the 5.8” in 2020. The lineup would be

5.4” OLED 5G Flagship replacing X, XS, 11 Pro

6.1” LCD continuing to in between spec’d

6.7” OLED 5G Flagship replacing Max and Max Pro

I’d personally love to go from 5.8” to 5.4” if I can’t also get improved battery which seems difficult except I’ve heard the 5G build does allow for larger batteries. Who knows?

Apparently in 2020 the successor to the XR’s successor (let’s call it the iPhone 12R) will have an OLED display...let’s hope the resolution is also upgraded. After going from an LCD phone to OLED the difference is noticeable for me.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The only way Apple will get back on track is to release a Steve Jobs look alike robot that will handle all my Tech needs.