Hi there,

I'm a recent convert from android to iPhone and am having some difficulty in getting used to it. One of the things I'm struggling with is when making a call.

In an android phone, all I did was to type the person's name in the dial pad instead of the actual number. However, in an iPhone that is not the case. I have to go into contacts, search for the person I want to call, click on their contact and then press to call them.

How do I get the dial pad to recognise that each button being pressed is also a letter and search in my contacts for those people whose name spells the combination I have dialled.
    07-23-2019 05:26 AM
    The dial pad will only input numbers. Letters are not possible.
    Lee_Bo likes this.
    07-23-2019 07:55 AM
    Have you considered enabling hey Siri? That way you could just verbalize it. For example you could say hey Siri call Joe. It works for me every time.
    Lee_Bo and kataran like this.
    07-23-2019 12:18 PM
    And let me just preemptively add that this isn't something "Apple needs to fix" since this isn't a problem. This is the way it was designed.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    07-23-2019 12:25 PM
    Okay guys, thanks for your replies. I gues Apple don't have this functionality built in their phones.

@Lee_Bo I didn't say that this is something that "Apple need to fix" I am merely trying ti understand whether this is possible in apple or not. It would be nice to have this functionality as it would make dialling a person easier.

@Annie_8plus I haven't turned on Siri because I worry about the conversations that the phone records. I disabled Galaxy in my android phone because it used to just randomly record our conversations and I discovered the place where the recordings were kept.

Everyone, thanks for your help; it's much appreciated.
    Lee_Bo likes this.
    07-23-2019 06:51 PM
    Okay guys, thanks for your replies. I gues Apple don't have this functionality built in their phones.

@Lee_Bo I didn't say that this is something that "Apple need to fix" I am merely trying ti understand whether this is possible in apple or not. It would be nice to have this functionality as it would make dialling a person easier.

@Annie_8plus I haven't turned on Siri because I worry about the conversations that the phone records. I disabled Galaxy in my android phone because it used to just randomly record our conversations and I discovered the place where the recordings were kept.

I certainly understand your concern about privacy. But I do think that Apple goes out of its way to ensure our security.
    07-23-2019 07:05 PM
    Oh I know you didn't say that. There's just always that one person on every forum that thinks something's always an issue.
    07-23-2019 07:25 PM

Siri only connects you to the call. It doesn't record or listen in. Apple doesn't have a record call function.
    07-24-2019 02:24 PM
    When in your dial pad, just click in the contacts tab at the bottom and yup the name. It’s the an extra step but it works.
    scruffypig likes this.
    07-24-2019 04:04 PM
    There are a number of T9 keyboard apps in the App Store, though I have never seen a need or desire for them, personally.
    07-25-2019 08:01 AM
    This is something that’s always annoyed me with the iPhone, but the pros out way the cons so I stick with it.
    07-26-2019 01:08 PM
    This is something that’s always annoyed me with the iPhone, but the pros out way the cons so I stick with it.
    I agree. I always thought that dialing feature should be added to the dial pad. Who knows what the future software updates will bring.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    08-10-2019 09:47 PM
    The contact menu is just at the left of the key/dialpad right ? Why not using contact menu ?

Or is it any differences with typing name on dialpad vs contact ?
    08-11-2019 12:14 AM
    The contact menu is just at the left of the key/dialpad right ? Why not using contact menu ?

Or is it any differences with typing name on dialpad vs contact ?
    I honestly never go to contacts, even though it’s right there. Being able to type the first couple letters of the name in the keypad is much more convenient than going to contacts...at least for me it is. I tend to go to the keypad to call someone, not contacts.
    08-12-2019 08:14 PM