Why the next Apple IOS release is named as iOS 13 not iOS 12.5?

Kevinkkk

Jul 23, 2019
Visit site
Hello, I am new here. I searched about this problem but did not get a clear idea. What is the difference if it is iOS 12.5 or whole new number such as iOS 13. I want to know how they are gonna name it. I mean according to what kind of conditions. Even if it, not a decimal version it is an implementation of the same operating system right? So why some of the version named as 12.1, 12.2. 12.3 and some are iOS 11, 12, 13. Can someone explain it?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Full number iOS updates only come once per year with the new iPhones, they also bring new features. All the decimal updates for a version of iOS just bring fixes to that version, or in some cases, a delayed feature.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
In the past I have felt that a new number was not warranted for a fall release, but 13 definitely sounds like a major enough change to warrant the increase in number.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
In the past I have felt that a new number was not warranted for a fall release, but 13 definitely sounds like a major enough change to warrant the increase in number.

The even number releases starting with iOS 8 have only brought a few changes as they were needing to continue fixing the previous full version lol.