I am basically the IT department for my parent's iMac. Sometimes it would be so simple if I could screen share their screen. Screen sharing on a local network has been addressed multiple places, but I need to share over the internet.

Having control of their screen would be nice, but not necessary. I really like how Apple can view my screen and move the little red arrow around telling me where to click.

So, how do I screen share between 2 iMacs over the internet, NOT a local network?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    07-01-2019 08:57 AM
    Perhaps a remote access software such as Logmein or Teamviewer?
    07-01-2019 11:45 AM
    I agree with PKCable. I use TeamViewer for exactly that purpose with my mother-in-law's PC. It's not a iMac, but I presume the same approach would work. It is free for personal use and works well over the Internet. It is always a little humorous when she'll contact me to fix a problem with her computer not being able to connect to the Internet and I have to explain that I can't fix that remotely through the Internet. ;-)
    07-02-2019 09:21 AM
    I agree with PKCable. I use TeamViewer for exactly that purpose with my mother-in-law's PC. It's not a iMac, but I presume the same approach would work. It is free for personal use and works well over the Internet. It is always a little humorous when she'll contact me to fix a problem with her computer not being able to connect to the Internet and I have to explain that I can't fix that remotely through the Internet. ;-)
    That is a classic! I can totally relate to this whole thread as I too am tech for the folks. The way it works in my family, is I am tech (I'm an IT professional), my sister is medical (she's a nurse), and my brother is transport (he's a government worker, so he has lots of free time! lol).

PS Sometimes Logmein and even more so Teamviewer get a bad rap, because scammers trick people in to using them, BUT the programs themselves are fine, and can and are used for legitimate support too.
    07-02-2019 11:43 AM
    Zoom is another good alternative.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-02-2019 11:58 AM