Going to be taking a trip to Ireland this fall with either our iPhone X's or depending on timing whatever the 2019 model is called. We did just get our phones unlocked from AT&T though we have yet to do the backup/restore to finish unlocking with the AT&T SIM. However since I didn't realize a backup/erase/restore would have to happen that now has me wondering when we go to put an overseas pre-paid SIM in will that force us to set the phones up and restore a backup as well? That's a LOT of data to pull back down.
    06-20-2019 01:00 PM
    Going to be taking a trip to Ireland this fall with either our iPhone X's or depending on timing whatever the 2019 model is called. We did just get our phones unlocked from AT&T though we have yet to do the backup/restore to finish unlocking with the AT&T SIM. However since I didn't realize a backup/erase/restore would have to happen that now has me wondering when we go to put an overseas pre-paid SIM in will that force us to set the phones up and restore a backup as well? That's a LOT of data to pull back down.
    Huh? I don’t understand why you would think it will reset your phone?

I change my SIM card quite often when I’m on vacation oversees and never had to reset or set the phone up.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    06-20-2019 01:05 PM
    Huh? I don’t understand why you would think it will reset your phone?

I change my SIM card quite often when I’m on vacation oversees and never had to reset or set the phone up.
    Because of the instructions that AT&T sent that said if you're using your current sim card to backup/erase/restore to complete the unlock. Or if going to use a different sim just insert it and "complete the setup process".
    06-20-2019 01:13 PM
    There is no setup process. Maybe in the States there is, in Europe you just insert the card, put some prepaid money on it (or get a data plan) and be on your way.
    Life is actually quite easy. AT&T should mind their own business and just tell you to inform with your new (temporary provider) what to do.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    06-20-2019 02:36 PM
    Well it's always a good idea to back up your device regularly, but simply inserting a new SIM won't reset / wipe the device.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    06-20-2019 02:42 PM
    Thanks guys. Yeah I do regular backups, it just wasn't clear from AT&T's email what was going to happen when I put the new SIM in and I've never actually swapped a SIM for a trip like this so I had no previous experience with the process.
    06-20-2019 04:02 PM
    Have you actually tried inserting a SIM card from a different service provider? It wouldn’t be a bad idea to give it a try before you travel to a foreign country. That way you have an idea what to expect.
    Last edited by scruffypig; 06-20-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    06-20-2019 09:54 PM
    Have you actually tried inserting a SIM card from a different service provider? It wouldn’t be a bad idea to give it a try before you travel to a foreign country. That way you have an idea what to expect.
    I haven't but I don't have access to one either.
    06-20-2019 11:53 PM
    If you are requesting an unlock then you will have to backup/restore on iTunes in order for the unlock to complete. But once you have finished restoring you can swap your sim cards in the same phone as much as you'd like without having to restore at all. The backup/restore to unlock is a one time thing.
    06-21-2019 01:20 PM
    If you are requesting an unlock then you will have to backup/restore on iTunes in order for the unlock to complete. But once you have finished restoring you can swap your sim cards in the same phone as much as you'd like without having to restore at all. The backup/restore to unlock is a one time thing.
    Thanks, yeah we had to request an unlock. I assumed they were unlocked already since they were bought on Apple's iPhone Upgrade program but I guess maybe that's not the case since we chose the model with the AT&T specific SIM vs buying a specifically "unlocked" model like I did with my 6s+ originally. I'm going to do the backup/restore this weekend.

I've been wanting to test the difference between local secure and iTunes restore with all the iCloud changes in the last couple OS versions anway so I'll do a secure local backup and then do the process and try an iCloud restore first to see if my passwords/health data/etc. come down now or if secure backup restore on iTunes (PC user) is still needed.
    06-21-2019 01:53 PM
    The best restore, in my opinion, is the encrypted backup on iTunes.
    06-21-2019 03:48 PM