Does anybody use Apple maps ?

MSUlover

Nov 9, 2018
Visit site
TomTom whenever I’m driving (integrated nav system)

Apple Maps when I’m not driving or in someone else’s car and need to get/give directions

Apple Maps is better than it used to be but still doesn’t beat a dedicated GPS: alternates, gas prices, multiple destinations, etc.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I used Apple Maps exclusively for about six months, it’s much better than it used to be. However, I’m back to using Google Maps because Apple Maps still has a lot of catching up to do in terms of locations. There are a number of places I need directions to for work that simply are not in Apple Maps.

Agree with you on this. I used apple maps with carplay but now that google maps can be used, I use that. Apple maps has improved but still not quite up to par with Google Maps.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I’ve been using Apple Maps since it was released & love it. I also like that it’s accurate with walking & transit directions, & with Uber costs.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I use both. But one time I wasn’t completely sure where I was. And I asked Siri to take me home, and Apple maps opened up with the directions to my house.
It was accurate, and I thought it was pretty useful considering it’s hands free.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not following the about there for all of us phone and watch software upgrades too closely but without more layers I expect Apple Maps will be fine for a lot of car navigation but not bike/ped and outdoor sports or recreation the way Google Maps is.

At times the simplicity in Apple's offering is good. Apple does not seem to do those occasional Waze type shortcuts that are not at all the best route.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm not following the about there for all of us phone and watch software upgrades too closely but without more layers I expect Apple Maps will be fine for a lot of car navigation but not bike/ped and outdoor sports or recreation the way Google Maps is.

At times the simplicity in Apple's offering is good. Apple does not seem to do those occasional Waze type shortcuts that are not at all the best route.

That would be a nice update.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I use  maps religiously as I drive all over the country for my job. I used google maps a lot before the iOS 13 beta. Apple has really revamped it & made it a whole lot better compared to how it was previously.

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Maps is great as a freebie but I seldom use it unless I'm in a vehicle without a navigation system.

a. Waypoints. --Setup multiple destinations; at the moment, I/we can do only one bloody destination at a time. Strictly speaking, it's unfathomable that this was missed in designing any sort of navigation program, let alone one to use in the car. :sarcastic:

b. CarPlay & Siri. --The CarPlay implementation of Maps is mostly to blame for this but if/when when I use Maps via CarPlay, I can only tell Siri where I want to go and if/when Siri doesn't understand the destination or it simply has old information, I have to look up/type the address on my iPhone to start navigation which defeats the purpose. :talk-hand:

c. CarPlay & Navigation. --I know they're planning this (finally) for iOS 13 but it's contingent upon the mfg to implement it, and it's a gamble if/when it will be released. And, to be fair, it's not like manufacturers are in a hurry to offer something for free (BMW?). The gripe is I can only have one (1) navigation screen up, not two (2); most built-in Nav systems will have two (2) or more screens, one passive and one active. The passive one continues to show your route should you need/wish to change screens, and you do not need to constantly switch back/forth. I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention in iOS 13 if they're interested in safety and convenience. :raised-eyebrow:

d. Routes. --Dedicated or stand-alone nav systems let you choose one of several routes (i.e., Fast, Shortest Distance, and Eco). CarPlay only gives you the distance and time, little else, and it has to be from the handset to be useful. :not-interested:

e. GPS Accuracy. --When I am driving down the road and Apple Maps (via CarPlay or handset) says I am 30' out the east window of my car, driving over houses or fields instead of the street or highway I am on (iPhone 7+). :rolleyes:

f. Cellular. --Maps still requires cellular with no way to download offline maps (yet). I regularly drive in areas with poor(er) cell coverage, maybe 30% of the time, and when I used Maps it offered me little to no information. :rolleyes:

g. Poor Rerouting. --I live/work/drive in Los Angeles so I know traffic. Maps does the absolute least re-routing of anything I've used. Waze reroutes you but makes questionable choices (i.e., left on insane crazy blvd with no center lane to merge) in the process. On the other hand, TomTom will check and reroute me every other minute for a faster route. Google Maps does probably the best job of rerouting next to Waze.:no:

h. CarPlay View. --CarPlay throws up a birds-eye view of the drive, skewed to the left, making it look like I am flying overhead from behind and to the left. This is the only nav program I've yet tried that does this. While functional, it's still very strange to look at while I'm driving, even on an 8" screen. :confused:

Did I miss anything?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I use  maps religiously as I drive all over the country for my job. I used google maps a lot before the iOS 13 beta. Apple has really revamped it & made it a whole lot better compared to how it was previously.

I can't wait to see the new Apple Maps when I install iOS 13 later this week!

Slash82

May 8, 2018
Visit site
I own an "old school" Garmin Navigation System in my car, for the rest I use Apple Maps (on vacations, on the go, using other cars than mine etc.) and I'm pretty happy with that combo.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2