Got too close

roughrider123

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
My friend got a new phone and I was helping him set it up and I didn't think anything of it, my phone was right beside his and he got my e mails and contact info? I was reading that if you change your passwords that the phones can't sync anymore. Has anyone run across this and if so how did you remedy it?? Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Get your friend’s iPhone, go to settings and then select erase all contents and settings. Afterwards, set it up again for that person.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
It's my understanding that the friends phone should have displayed a message asking if you wanted to copy those settings over, and then would only do so if "yes" was selected.

roughrider123

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean by " He got my emails and contact info"? Do you mean you put your info in his phone?

My phone numbers from my contacts went onto his phone. Also yesterday I noticed that there was a twitter tweet on his laptop from one of my followers, i'm very confused!!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My phone numbers from my contacts went onto his phone. Also yesterday I noticed that there was a twitter tweet on his laptop from one of my followers, i'm very confused!!

That's not possible, unless you or he used your log in credentials and contact info. Maybe he also follows that person on Twitter. Who's account does it show on his Twitter?

roughrider123

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
He does not know the person and he was deleting the minimized site on the bottom of the screen before i could look however I did send him something that was written to me from that person so it might have been that. But I really believe that his phone was synced with mine so I changed all of my passwords and I am going to erase his phone and mine and put a new ios on mine and a new samsung rom on his.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
So, if I understand correctly, your friend was setting up his Samsung phone and your iPhone "got too close" and all your contacts and emails were copied to his phone?

Something's just not stirring the Kool-Aid here.

roughrider123

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
So, if I understand correctly, your friend was setting up his Samsung phone and your iPhone "got too close" and all your contacts and emails were copied to his phone?

Something's just not stirring the Kool-Aid here.

Yes he showed me an e mail that i got and it was on his phone as well, they have to be synced i'm just going to erase both and re do them!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes he showed me an e mail that i got and it was on his phone as well, they have to be synced i'm just going to erase both and re do them!

Who was the email from? My son has Android, but we sometimes get the same email. Was the email he got on his phone addressed to you?

roughrider123

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Who was the email from? My son has Android, but we sometimes get the same email. Was the email he got on his phone addressed to you?

There is no way that he should have gotten that e mail, it was a business dealing.
I am going to go to apple support and see if I can get some answers and I will report back if I get any info. Thanks all for your help.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
This is not possible without A cable connecting the two phones and, or you manually entering your Apple ID info into the Samsung phone. Either way there would have been multiple prompts for approval on both devices. This type of thing doesn't just happen ...

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
As a network administrator for decades and where there are 750 employees I feel I've seen it all. I've had staff argue with me about getting other people's information but they were just daft to their being cc'd in same messages and in same groups of social media. I've also had people somehow just set up their accounts on someone else's system.

This seems like a case of misunderstanding and possibly poorly managed credentials.

The using wrong credentials in wrong place error is something I've seen a few times.

roughrider123

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
There is no way that he should have gotte:

n that e mail, it was a business dealing.
I am going to go to apple support and see if I can get some answers and I will report back if I get any info. Thanks all for your help.

From my conversation with Apple support I spoke with a gentleman and didn't have any answers so I was put through to a supervisor: her: As I was mentioning to the advisor you were speaking with, typically this occurs when an email account is linked to both devices. This email account can also house your contacts as well. me: So his NFC picked up my g mail acct.? her: Yes, I agree. It seems as if the other phone has your email account set up on his phone. The contacts and emails sync from the Gmail account to the phone. It appears that it did pick up on your gmail account. her: You can reset your Gmail password or you can speak with your friend about going to his settings to remove the account. me: It has to have been the NFC though correct?? her: I know that iPhones can communicate with the Androids during setup when switching from an iPhone from an Android but there are specific steps you would have to take in order to get this communication setup. So I went to the other phone and sure enough my e mail was listed in his accounts, and I didn't do anything special to the phone other than to have it too close because I was also entering phone numbers that I have on my phone onto his, and I did not use any cables or change any settings so i'm thinking that when he purchased his phone the nfc feature was turned on.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
From my conversation with Apple support I spoke with a gentleman and didn't have any answers so I was put through to a supervisor: her: As I was mentioning to the advisor you were speaking with, typically this occurs when an email account is linked to both devices. This email account can also house your contacts as well. me: So his NFC picked up my g mail acct.? her: Yes, I agree. It seems as if the other phone has your email account set up on his phone. The contacts and emails sync from the Gmail account to the phone. It appears that it did pick up on your gmail account. her: You can reset your Gmail password or you can speak with your friend about going to his settings to remove the account. me: It has to have been the NFC though correct?? her: I know that iPhones can communicate with the Androids during setup when switching from an iPhone from an Android but there are specific steps you would have to take in order to get this communication setup. So I went to the other phone and sure enough my e mail was listed in his accounts, and I didn't do anything special to the phone other than to have it too close because I was also entering phone numbers that I have on my phone onto his, and I did not use any cables or change any settings so i'm thinking that when he purchased his phone the nfc feature was turned on.

That can't happen from just being too close to another phone. The info was either entered in his phone, or synced in via your Gmail account.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro