Are you the type of person who would negatively rate a product that works flawlessly for you simply because you had a not so great customer service experience? For example, a developer moving from a buy once model to a subscription based model. Would you poorly rate the product simply because you dislike the developer’s move to subscriptions? If so, why?
    04-07-2019 05:43 PM
    That depends really. Currently I have an issue with 1Password. I’m using 1Password 6 which isn’t getting any more updates so it does not support the Chrome app extension except in a few browsers, and as soon as more get updated 1Password 6 will support fewer browsers than the few it does. The only other option is to move to 1Password 7 which requires either moving to the subscription service or buying licenses for macOS and PC again. I don’t mind paying for an updated app from time to time, but to negate the licenses I already bought is kind of a low blow in my opinion. I’m currently trying out LastPass and may end up switching.

For everyone else, it depends on how and why the switch occurred. Or in terms of customer service, how that experience was. For example, I bought a Mous Limitless for my iPhone 7 Plus and the sides clicked. They asked me to send it in. Six month of trying to get any information later, they finally apologized and sent me a Limitless v2 with an accessory of my choice. So overall that experience washed out for me in the end, however, at the start of it I would recommended people stay away.

Bottom line, to say it again, it really depends on the situation how I will move forward with a company.
    Just_Me_D and aximtreo like this.
    04-07-2019 06:24 PM
    I don’t think that would change my rating for the performance of the app. I would probably mention the change and my customer experience in the review.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-07-2019 06:25 PM
    There's a lot of "ifs" and "depends" there. I don't normally give a good product a bad rating if I get bad customer service. If possible, I will rate the product highly, but mention the customer service is not so much. I do this some with apps. With subscriptions, it varies, depending on how they are offered. I've had apps I paid for break, only to find the dev made a new subscription app. That gets a brutal review from me. Mostly, they offer features with subscription in an otherwise free app. I'll give the app a decent review, but mention my displeasure with subscriptions. And that depends on what type app it is. If I subscribed to every app I like that offers it, it would be like a car payment. Too many trying to get in on subscriptions. So, I don't do any at all.
    Just_Me_D and Annie_8plus like this.
    04-07-2019 06:26 PM
    It really depends on the specifics of each situation. I like to think that I could separate the product from it’s producer. An analogy would be great food poor service or vice versa. Would I tip waitstaff less because the food was awful? Is it their fault? Or if the food was awesome and the service terrible would I post a bad review? In truth, my emotions do (and have) come in to play. I now force myself to chill out before posting a bad review. And that also includes sites like Amazon, iTunes, etc. It’s not as easy to delete an app if you’ve paid for it. So, if an app is working well, and I have an issue with it’s developer, I would probably not say something like “awesome app, just disappointed in the change of it’s fee structure”.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-07-2019 06:49 PM
    I probably wouldn't change my review rating, but I would mention it in an edit to said review.

What really chaps my hide is when I hear or see the comments like "this mobile carrier sucks because they don't have service in my area", and they give a 1 star review.

FWIW, yes, I have several apps that I've used over the years that went from a one-time purchase to a subscription. I get it, app developers need to make money. And most of them are only a couple of bucks a month, which makes the yearly cost about the same as a month of Netflix or Apple Music. If it's something I like and stand behind, yes, I'll pay a subscription.

For example, I'm paying $10/year for Carrot Weather. Why? Simple. Carrot can tell me within 45 seconds when the rain/snow/sleet/ice will start and stop. Meteorologists can't even predict WHAT DAY said weather will start. YES, that's worth $10/year. :-)

[/rant]
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-07-2019 07:34 PM
    If I give something a bad review, I would say why .... whether it be the app, or the customer service, or both. I feel like not doing that isn't fair to the developer and wouldn't help them improve.
    04-08-2019 03:08 PM
    Living in the Yelp world I hear and wittiness people giving bad reviews on food because of perceived bad service so I wouldn’t be surprised that it happens in app and sales reviews

I’m honest in the reviews I give with absence of emotion
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-10-2019 07:34 PM
    Nope & I can’t stand when people do that. I would mention it in the review in hopes that the developer/manufacturer would see it, but I wouldn’t give a bad review if I like the product.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-11-2019 11:28 PM
    For me, a rating is typically ones view on their entire experience regarding both the app/product and the developer/company. So if the app/product performs flawlessly, I'll absolutely say that. But if I'm not pleased with the developer/company's actions or the way they monetize the app/product, I'll also include that in my review. The rating wouldn't be tanked because of this, but maybe I'll dock a star off because of it and mention it in the written review.
    04-12-2019 02:26 PM
    If it’s the type of feedback that allows for comments then I don’t have a problem with anyone expressing their views in regard to receiving poor customer service.

With that being said, if you are completely satisfied or even more than satisfied with a product, will you rate the “product” deservingly or would you taint the deserved rating because of a negative experience with the company, i.e., poor customer service if the only ratings option was to choose between 1 and 5 stars?
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 04-12-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    04-12-2019 02:40 PM