saving photos but removing from camera roll

I

iMore Question

I have a new to me Xr. I take a lot of pictures which I put in many different albums for different subjects. How do I keep my pictures in my albums but remove them from the original all photos album . The albums are all different subjects. After I move a photo to it's subject album I want to delete the original from the all photos album but it also deletes from the subject album. What an I doing wrong ???

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
You don’t move a photo to an Album, you copy it. This is why you cannot delete it from your Camera Roll. This is just how it works.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You don’t move a photo to an Album, you copy it. This is why you cannot delete it from your Camera Roll. This is just how it works.

I wouldn’t say ‘copy’ it.
The photos exist in the Camera Roll and place holders are placed in those albums of your choosing.
You can safely remove photos from albums but you can’t delete photos from the Camera Roll without also deleting them from the album(s) it is in.

Terminology is very important.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It’s a function that most of us want but I don’t see it happening in iOS 13

That said you still got your albums and if you want there are apps you can use to keep photos out of your camera roll

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Also, it doesn’t take any more storage space for the images to show in both places. Those in the "Recently Deleted" album do take more space.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn’t say ‘copy’ it.
The photos exist in the Camera Roll and place holders are placed in those albums of your choosing.
You can safely remove photos from albums but you can’t delete photos from the Camera Roll without also deleting them from the album(s) it is in.

Terminology is very important.

That's a great explanation!