Sorry for sounding silly but I need confirmation that FMF only shows "location not available" when the user's phone is switched off, they have no coverage whatsoever, or have turned off their location services?
    I don't trust my daughter's answer that "she doesn't know why it doesn't work sometimes" but I want to be certain before I DISCUSS it further!

Thanks
    02-12-2019 11:26 AM
    It won't show if their phone is powered off, or if their phone runs out of battery and needs charging. And it won't show if they don't have location on. It uses gps, so that has to be enabled. You could spot check her phone to see if location is enabled. Just take her phone and look.
    If you know her Apple ID, you could use Find My iPhone as well. Just enter her Apple ID and password.
    02-12-2019 11:51 AM
    Hello and welcome to iMore. Here is a user's "how to" guide for Find my Friends from Apple Support. Hopefully, you will find this useful. Also, here is an article published here on iMore called "The Ultimate Guide to Parental Controls".

And finally, here's another article from Apple Support about setting up Parental Restrictions on Find My Friends.

Hope this helps.
    wenrob and libra89 like this.
    02-12-2019 11:58 AM
    Speaking from experience, when my son was in high school, GPS signal had a hard time penetrating the schools block wall, so most of the time when he was at school, I got location not available. Didn't really worry about it too much as all the other parents were dealing with the same things. :-)

However, as the bill paying adult, I would take his phone at any given time and do a phone inspection. He had no choice in the matter. I suggest you do the same. And if they give you any flack about handing it over, then there's probably a reason for that.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    02-12-2019 03:20 PM
    Speaking from experience, when my son was in high school, GPS signal had a hard time penetrating the schools block wall, so most of the time when he was at school, I got location not available. Didn't really worry about it too much as all the other parents were dealing with the same things. :-)

However, as the bill paying adult, I would take his phone at any given time and do a phone inspection. He had no choice in the matter. I suggest you do the same. And if they give you any flack about handing it over, then there's probably a reason for that.
    Buildings with a lot of metal hurts all kinds of signals.
    02-12-2019 10:24 PM
    Buildings with a lot of metal hurts all kinds of signals.
    This is true! One of our newer local Kroger (Grocery) Stores has been boasting about their new APP that helps with finding items and specials while in store. The only problem is that they don't have WiFi, and it's virtually impossible to get a signal even for those who have Verizon! It's so frustrating.

So you may want to keep this in mind!
    02-13-2019 09:59 AM
    Kids know how to circumvent some tracking apps they can easily turn off and then back on said services.

Best way to catch them is trial and error. If they say I don’t get a signal at so and so do a test of said location with someone you trust then you can call them on it

When I was a kid I would turn back the time on my watch so when I got home late I would show my dad my watch and get a beating anyway. Dad was smart
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    02-15-2019 10:54 AM
    Kids know how to circumvent some tracking apps they can easily turn off and then back on said services.

Best way to catch them is trial and error. If they say I don’t get a signal at so and so do a test of said location with someone you trust then you can call them on it

When I was a kid I would turn back the time on my watch so when I got home late I would show my dad my watch and get a beating anyway. Dad was smart
    You can go into Screen Time and set it so they can’t change any settings and then set a password only you know.
    Annie_8plus and kataran like this.
    02-15-2019 11:06 AM
    One of my favorite episodes of Modern Family addresses this very issue!
    02-15-2019 11:12 AM
    One of my favorite episodes of Modern Family addresses this very issue!
    Do you make your links look like that in TapaTalk? If so, how?
    02-16-2019 03:28 PM
    Do you make your links look like that in TapaTalk? If so, how?
    It’s not easy, but if you looked closer when you quoted @Annie_8plus you would have seen the code.
    Here is a screen shot

02-16-2019 03:42 PM
    It’s not easy, but if you looked closer when you quoted @Annie_8plus you would have seen the code.
    Here is a screen shot
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5d0a9d1e2c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...85b49e3cd3.jpg
    Looks all jumbled. So how do you know what to change?
    02-16-2019 04:21 PM
    Looks all jumbled. So how do you know what to change?
    After the = you put the website or link and after the first “]” you put your own text.
    02-16-2019 04:23 PM
    02-16-2019 04:27 PM
    After the = you put the website or link and after the first “]” you put your own text.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8284c047f7.jpg
    Blue is the website url you want to link to and yellow is the personalized text.
    wenrob likes this.
    02-16-2019 04:28 PM
    Blue is the website url you want to link to and yellow is the personalized text.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...92c4dc2bf4.jpg
    When I post a link, I don't see the = or the "]".
    02-16-2019 04:32 PM
    When I post a link, I don't see the = or the "]".
    Then don’t see it. Type it down exactly like this and post it.
    02-16-2019 04:35 PM
    02-16-2019 04:42 PM
    Now go edit your post and type in exactly what I screen shotted.
    02-16-2019 04:45 PM
    Excellent
    02-16-2019 04:47 PM
    Now go edit your post and type in exactly what I screen shotted.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d7dbc917e3.jpg
    That's a lot of work just to post a link.
    02-16-2019 04:50 PM
    That's a lot of work just to post a link.
    Yeah, forum code is no joke. I don’t use it very often.
    02-16-2019 04:51 PM
    Yeah, forum code is no joke. I don’t use it very often.
    @Annie_8plus is just better than we are!
    Tartarus likes this.
    02-16-2019 05:54 PM
    @Annie_8plus is just better than we are!
    It’s easy. I type whatever description of the link I feel is most fitting, then highlight it, tap the URL link button and then paste in the link I want to share.
    Tartarus likes this.
    02-16-2019 06:48 PM
    It’s easy. I type whatever description of the link I feel is most fitting, then highlight it, tap the URL link button and then paste in the link I want to share.
    I’m sure you use the web browser for that.
    I solely use Tapatalk for iMore.
    02-16-2019 07:40 PM
43 12