Touch ID on a Mac Book Pro

I

iMore Question

Is there any way to change settings in order to use touch ID when one first power the Mac Book Pro?

When you first power it, one needs to type his password, but the keyboard does not light up until start sequence is finished, so it is really a hassle to type the password in a dark environment.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not according to Apple. "[FONT=&quot]Note that you must type your password to log in after you start up, restart, or log out of your Mac."

Source: [/FONT]
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207054

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
From the link above:

Every time you start up, restart, or log out, you need to type your password to log in to your user account.

So just like your iPhone. When you reboot your iPhone, Touch ID doesn't work until you type in your password (PIN).

Yes it stinks as I also have a MBP and would love for the keyboard to come on at startup........but that that would mean I'd be working from home and I just don't do that. :)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
However, I did find this:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/91758/no-keyboard-backlight-until-password-entered

At the bottom:
When FileVault is enabled it encrypts everything on the SSD and doesn't allow even the computer to have access to that data until you enter your password. Including the software that loads during startup which would normally activate the backlighting on your keyboard and the touch-bar.

After you enter your password on startup the decryption process begins and all of those necessary pieces of software start to load. Making your keyboard backlight turn on and your touch-bar activate.

Here are your 2 choices:

Accept it and remain using FileVault (my recommendation)
Turn off FileVault (which I really do not recommend)

Since I do have FileVault enabled and don't with to mess with it right now, I cannot confirm if this is a solution. but it does sound plausible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2