Home iMore Q&A > Ask a Question

Am I able to ask for time off before starting a job?

Asked: Jan 24 2019 | 12:31 am EST 705 Views 3 Answers View Best Answer

I had an interview for shop assistant and deli on Wednesday and got the job I'm supposed to start the 4th of Feb..but in february I have two events I need time off for and one on the end of March, so how do I go about this or should I? Does it look bad?

Best Answer

Jan 24 2019 | 11:37 am EST Lee_Bo

This probably should have been negotiated during the hiring process. Now that you have been offered and accepted the job, they have right to deny you that time off.

More Answers

Jan 24 2019 | 1:02 am EST mattguy10

I had an interview for shop assistant and deli on Wednesday and got the job I'm supposed to start the 4th of Feb..but in february I have two events I need time off for and one on the end of March, so how do I go about this or should I? Does it look bad?
Shouldn’t be a problem and no it doesn’t look bad. Going to work on your first day and asking for days off probably isn’t the best thing, so I would ask for the days off ASAP. Just tell them you can absolutely start on the 4th but you realized after committing to that, that you discovered you have some prior engagements that you need to attend and you’ll need those days off. That situation happens more than you think. Don’t sweat it! Good luck with your new job!
Jan 24 2019 | 9:19 am EST kataran

Small business employers don’t hire unless they need the help and might find it odd that you need time off as soon as your hired

Bring it to there attention right away but be prepared for possible unpleasant response