I'm trying to decide between a Macbook Pro and a Macbook Air. The problem is the options for both. I use my laptop for editing GoPro videos for my youtube channel and personal entertainment ie iTunes and Netflix. Which should I choose and what options should I go for?
    01-10-2019 11:57 PM
    If you’re talking 4K video and a good bit of it, and you’re set on macOS, you don’t want a MacBook. You’d want an iMac. And if you’re set on a MacBook, a Pro as maxed out as you can get, with a core i7. Core i9 isn’t meant for thin laptops and you get worse performance.
    kataran and aximtreo like this.
    01-11-2019 12:36 AM
    If you’re talking 4K video and a good bit of it, and you’re set on macOS, you don’t want a MacBook. You’d want an iMac. And if you’re set on a MacBook, a Pro as maxed out as you can get, with a core i7. Core i9 isn’t meant for thin laptops and you get worse performance.
    You do not necessarily need and quite often do not at all need the i7 processor for a lot of video work. The exact work being done should be understood or qualified. A Mac or Windows user should use the built in tools to find where performance bottlenecks are. I ask my users or find out just how many hours a day will be video processing or running a virtual machine.

I have 4 professionals doing video work and it's really just one of them who produces longer running output and who uses advanced software features who is particularly demanding. 4 cores and video subsystem can make a difference. For the iMacs you mention they've been getting i5 Retina models with the tiered storage (Fusion??) option. They have 13 inch MacBooks and one one really needs the 4 core model. Running a Windows virtual machine has been a most common reason for true need of 4 core CPU.

There is a future proof argument for higher level laptop. I spent a lot of money on a 15 inch model for myself and then found my 12 inch MacBook and Retina iMac get most of the use. That high end laptop I expected to be my primary tool got taken over by my kids. I underestimated the utility and beauty of the light little laptop and the Retina iMac.
    01-12-2019 10:42 AM
    For me, weight was a serious issue. I love my MBA!! Get the largest hard drive you can & you’ll be able to do your work easily.
    Yesterday 09:40 PM