Where are my messages?

jeffdanger

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have Imessage set to keep messages for one year. On at least one of my contacts, there are only two weeks of messages available--won't go back any further. All the others are fine--messages go back one year. They were all previously there. How do I get them back? The messages go back to an Icloud link of photos I received on 12/25 but nothing before that--maybe that has something to do with it?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

I keep my message set to forever to avoid such issues. Can’t say why only one contact is effected on your device but it’s a new year

Stay tuned someone that has the One Year setting on there messages might shed some light

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

I keep my message set to forever to avoid such issues. Can’t say why only one contact is effected on your device but it’s a new year

Stay tuned someone that has the One Year setting on there messages might shed some light

Exactly this.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I also have messages set to forever. I occasionally with go in and delete attachments to avoid space issues. It's odd that the missing messages are from specific contacts. Is there anyway they have access to your iPhone or your account?

jeffdanger

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. No one else has access to my messages or account. And it seems to me if I have the setting set at one year the forever option is not significant unless I want to keep more than one year. I just want it to do what it says--keep my messages for one year. All the other messages seem to adhere to the one year rule except this one set of messages.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I don’t understand the message time frame. To ask a stupid question. If I delete a message, if you have it set to keep forever. Than where do the messages go if I want to access them again?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t understand the message time frame. To ask a stupid question. If I delete a message, if you have it set to keep forever. Than where do the messages go if I want to access them again?

I could be mistaken, but I‘m under the impression that messages that are not intentionally deleted remains for preset time period.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have Imessage set to keep messages for one year. On at least one of my contacts, there are only two weeks of messages available--won't go back any further. All the others are fine--messages go back one year. They were all previously there. How do I get them back? The messages go back to an Icloud link of photos I received on 12/25 but nothing before that--maybe that has something to do with it?

Is it possible for someone to have deleted them, especially using a different device configured with the same Apple ID and passcode?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

If you have it set to forever you can still delete a message thread manually. I believe the forever is what it means unless you delete and you can’t get them back probably why they changed it to a two step delete process.

Obviously if there backed up you can access them with some work on your part

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I could be mistaken, but I‘m under the impression that messages that are not intentionally deleted remains for preset time period.

If you have it set to forever you can still delete a message thread manually. I believe the forever is what it means unless you delete and you can’t get them back probably why they changed it to a two step delete process.

Obviously if there backed up you can access them with some work on your part

Thank-you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner