Why is the storage for each app on iPhone and iPad different

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi when I go to settings- General- iPhone/iPad I am seeing different amounts for the same apps across each device. Why is this so. Not affecting anything just want to expand my Apple Knowledge.

Thanks

IMG_0001.png

E6825753-BD25-47E8-B631-DDFDCE9AE8B0.jpeg

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi when I go to settings- General- iPhone/iPad I am seeing different amounts for the same apps across each device. Why is this so. Not affecting anything just want to expand my Apple Knowledge.

Thanks

View attachment 125441

The difference you’re seeing is likely data from the app that’s being stored on each device. It will differ from device to device based on usage. For example, I have 996 MB of offline maps and other app data for Google Maps on my iPhone. The number will be considerably smaller on my iPad because I don’t use Google Maps nearly as much on my iPad and don’t have any downloaded maps on that particular device.

bef4c212d9e82726504f437c3ee4e0c9.jpg

Most apps have a separate version for the iPhone and iPad

That used to be the case but the vast majority of apps are universal these days.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah it seems to be different app sizes on mine. No big deal I was more just curious. Does this also include the app itself using additional storage for the screen size and layout. That’s why the data is different as well that’s what someone told me. Thanks

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The difference you’re seeing is likely data from the app that’s being stored on each device. It will differ from device to device based on usage. For example, I have 996 MB of offline maps and other app data for Google Maps on my iPhone. The number will be considerably smaller on my iPad because I don’t use Google Maps nearly as much on my iPad and don’t have any downloaded maps on that particular device.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190110/bef4c212d9e82726504f437c3ee4e0c9.jpg

That used to be the case but the vast majority of apps are universal these days.

Universal yes, but depending on what device you install it on it pulls localized installation data.

Dev decides what information and such gets stored on what device. I believe it’s called app-thinning.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2