iPhone Clock App Ignores Custom Sound Settings

I

iMore Question

My iPhone X clock app chose to ignore the custom sound settings after a hard reboot of the iPhone.

This happens with the timer and alarms. Although the sounds are set to a custom sound, they play only the default sound.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You can choose as an alarm tone any song that you have purchased or synced onto your device. Unfortunately, you can't pick music streaming from Apple Music for a custom alarm tone.

Source:
https://www.imore.com/how-set-alarms-iphone-or-ipad

declanRegan

Jan 4, 2019
Visit site
I've already done that and set my alarms to play "To the Color" bugle call. The setting shows up in the setup, if I click on it in edit, it plays correctly but, when the alarm goes off, it plays the default sound.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've already done that and set my alarms to play "To the Color" bugle call. The setting shows up in the setup, if I click on it in edit, it plays correctly but, when the alarm goes off, it plays the default sound.

I just set my alarm to play the song, “Sticky” by Jah Cure, and at the preset time (9:30 PM EDT) it played the actual song. That song is a song that I purchased through iTunes years ago and I made sure it was on my device before setting the alarm sound to play it.

With that in mind, are you using a song that is on your device and not streamed to the device?

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You can choose as an alarm tone any song that you have purchased or synced onto your device. Unfortunately, you can't pick music streaming from Apple Music for a custom alarm tone.

Source:
https://www.imore.com/how-set-alarms-iphone-or-ipad

Actually, you can choose any song in your iCloud Music Library, whether it’s purchased or through Music.

Unfortunately, much like OP, I have experienced that the clock app would ‘forget’ chosen song and revert back to a basic alarm tone.

I’ll have to look into it some other time what’s causing this.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Had this same issue before

I believe Apple not wanting to get any negative press about users not getting up on time they coded the alarm to default to the buzzer if the chosen song doesn’t kick in instantly

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually, you can choose any song in your iCloud Music Library, whether it’s purchased or through Music.
That didn’t work for me.

Unfortunately, much like OP, I have experienced that the clock app would ‘forget’ chosen song and revert back to a basic alarm tone.

I’ll have to look into it some other time what’s causing this.
When I put the song I had actually purchased onto my device and set it as the alarm tone, the alarm played the tune at the preset time.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That didn’t work for me.

When I put the song I had actually purchased onto my device and set it as the alarm tone, the alarm played the tune at the preset time.

After your post I tried it again.
With a song I had added through Music but not downloaded for offline listening.
The standard ringtone sounded.

Then I went into Music, located that song and downloaded it for offline listening and as I suspected, the song sounded when the alarm went of.

To everybody, make sure to have the selected song downloaded for offline use before you choose it as a alarm tone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox