Change child's iPad to separate AppleID with Family Sharing

Trelaina

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have an older iPad that I gave to my youngest son for games. I left my AppleID on it and just deleted the apps he wouldn't need. He's six now and autistic, and sharing an AppleID is a problem. He's easily able to get into the AppStore, and my texts/notifications are showing up (I turn them off but he figures out how to turn them back on - he LOVES messing with settings).

I have a 10-year old as well and will likely soon be considering a device for him.

I want to do Family Sharing. I read how to set up IDs and how to set up sharing. I can handle all that.

Am I right in thinking I'll need to redownload all the games he likes? And he'll lose any in-app purchases, etc?

Do I have to truly go in and individually hide everything I don't want him to access? Is there no way to do it the other way around - everything is hidden and I "unhide" what I want to share?

Is there anything else I need to seriously consider before doing this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the data created by apps and games aren’t synced to their respective service or aren’t backed up then yes, that data is lost. In regard to in-app purchases, they are typically restored by selecting the “restore purchases” option from within the app or game.

If all the games he likes are no longer on the device and he still wants to play them then yes, you will have to go to the purchased section of the App Store and reinstall them.

Depending on your iOS version, you can accomplish a good deal of prevention via the restrictions settings.

https://m.imore.com/how-to-use-parental-controls-iphone-ipad

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods