If I purchase an unlocked iPhone at the Apple store and plug in my tMobile sim I can obviously use the phone. I also have VZW with an Android phone

If I take out the tMobile sim and pop in the VZW sim from my VZW android phone will it just "work" without some rigamarole with VZW? Can I then pop tMobile sim right back in and have it continue to work normally on the tMobile line or will VZW somehow lock it down so I cannot just go back and forth at will?

Thanks!
    10-30-2018 01:55 PM
    Yes, it will work and yes, you can reinsert your T-mobile SIM and have it work, too as long as you still have wireless services with both carriers.
    recDNA and bakron1 like this.
    10-30-2018 02:07 PM
    My Apple watch has service with tMobile NOT VZW. If I use my Apple watch with VZW sim in iPhone will I still have tMobile phone service in the watch itself? Will tye watch esimm attempt to connect to VZW? (BAD my legacy VZW unlimited data plan does not allow adding lte for a watch)

Thanks!
    10-30-2018 02:35 PM
    My Apple watch has service with tMobile NOT VZW. If I use my Apple watch with VZW sim in iPhone will I still have tMobile phone service in the watch itself? Will tye watch esimm attempt to connect to VZW? (BAD my legacy VZW unlimited data plan does not allow adding lte for a watch)

Thanks!
    No. The watch and iPhone must use the same carrier.
    10-30-2018 02:43 PM
    Darn! Thanks for the 411 but DARN! It would have been nice to receive calls from tMobiLE number on the apple watch and the VZW number on the Apple phone.

I guess my best be is bluetooth only apple watch if I want to switch simms sometimes?
    10-30-2018 02:55 PM
    No. The watch and iPhone must use the same carrier.
    I don’t think that’s true unless apple watches are different then galaxy watches. I have a gear S3 on T-Mobile and my phone is with at&t and it works perfectly.
    10-30-2018 04:13 PM

Thanks!
    I use my Galaxy watch on T-Mobile and my phone is on at&t I have no problems. As long as you keep wearable line on it should work.
    10-30-2018 04:21 PM
    I don’t think that’s true unless apple watches are different then galaxy watches. I have a gear S3 on T-Mobile and my phone is with at&t and it works perfectly.
    Thanks. It would be nice if it did especially during transition period from one number to the other.
    10-30-2018 04:24 PM
    Thanks. It would be nice if it did especially during transition period from one number to the other.
    You have an LTE watch that has it’s own number?
    10-30-2018 05:01 PM
    You have an LTE watch that has it’s own number?
    I would have a iPhone & watch with tmobile number. I have an Android phone with vzw number. I would put vzw sim in iPhone for better LTE and hope the esim on the Watch paid through tMobile could still receive tmobile number calls. No?
    10-30-2018 05:03 PM
    I would have a iPhone & watch with tmobile number. I have an Android phone with vzw number. I would put vzw sim in iPhone for better LTE and hope the esim on the Watch paid through tMobile could still receive tmobile number calls. No?
    My watch has it’s own number so the calls just get forwarded to my watch’s number when they are not Bluetooth connected. I’m sure apple works the same way
    ravenseb likes this.
    10-30-2018 05:11 PM
    I use my Galaxy watch on T-Mobile and my phone is on at&t I have no problems. As long as you keep wearable line on it should work.
    Unfortunately with the Apple Watch, the phone & Watch have to be with the same carrier. Yes the watch gets it’s own number, but it must be synced with a device on the same account.
    10-30-2018 06:36 PM
    Unfortunately with the Apple Watch, the phone & Watch have to be with the same carrier. Yes the watch gets it’s own number, but it must be synced with a device on the same account.
    But when you go out for a run your phone may be turned off. If phone with dif sim has Bluetooth turned off isn't that just like having left your phone at home turned off? I would sync the two on the same T Mobile account but occasionally use a VZW sim in the phone only to return to T Mobile. What would the watch do then - just crash?
    10-30-2018 06:39 PM
    But when you go out for a run your phone may be turned off
    Yes, that’s correct. I leave my phone all the time & the Watch works perfectly.
    recDNA likes this.
    10-30-2018 06:43 PM
    But when you go out for a run your phone may be turned off. If phone with dif sim has Bluetooth turned off isn't that just like having left your phone at home turned off? I would sync the two on the same T Mobile account but occasionally use a VZW sim in the phone only to return to T Mobile. What would the watch do then - just crash?
    I’m not sure how that would work with using a VZW sim. You might want to ask Apple support or someone at VZW.
    10-30-2018 06:45 PM
    If watch is bluetooth only model would it screw up the watch to change sims back and forth between providers?
    10-30-2018 06:45 PM
    If watch is bluetooth only model would it screw up the watch to change sims back and forth between providers?
    I’m not sure. Hopefully, someone that has some experience with this will be able to answer.
    recDNA likes this.
    10-30-2018 06:48 PM
    I will visit an iPhone store if nobody knows. I find even the Apple geniuses often know less than members if this community!
    nikkisharif likes this.
    10-30-2018 06:52 PM
    I will visit an iPhone store if nobody knows. I find even the Apple geniuses often know less than members if this community!
    I called up Apple iPhone support today and could not get an answer on what would happen if I put vzw sim into phone set up with apple watch 4 tmobile. He kept me on the phone for 40 minutes. I swear I could hear sheets of paper being thumbed through. He wasn't even sure about what would happen with the unlocked phone when I switched simms let alone how it would affect the watch.
    10-31-2018 04:47 PM
    I went back to Apple Store today. I had made up my mind to go with XS MAXX unlocked with Apple watch 4 gps (no lte service just Bluetooth). I explained that I intended to periodically switch sims between my VZW account and T Mobile account. She says it won't work!

Apparently due to the new esim in the Maxx as soon as I connect to T Mobile the imei becomes a T Mobile imei and a VZW sim will not work! She claimed this is new since the X but true of all 4 of the big 4 providers. Even though I bring in a paid for phone the imei is

locked to the initial provider. To use with a different provider I must go through some rigamarole with tmobile to unlock the phone again. She claimed if I plug in VZW sim first they would do the same thing!

I stopped by tmobile and vzw and reps know nothing about this and more importantly​if true they don't know how I could unlock the imei again since they don't acknowledge ever locking it?

Anybody ever try switching sims successfully on any X model back and forth between providers and run into this?
    11-01-2018 01:37 PM
    On reddit there is a thread that says you must activate the Apple store unlocked iphone on VZW first for it to stay unlock. If you use T mobile first they lock your Apple store sim free unlocked phone and wont unlock it.
    11-02-2018 08:22 PM