Since we share an Apple ID, will we need another one for our  watches?

radamo

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Seems the Watch is the first device where we can't seem to manage "who's" device it is. She gets iMessages for me and Vice Versa... why is that???

If we do have to get separate ID's is there a way to NOT HAVE TO RESET up our phones and migrate apps, settings etc to a new ID?

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Wife and I share Apple ID, now each have Apple Watch

One of you will have to start from scratch. Whoever uses the new ID will have start over. Without being too nosey why would you use the same Apple ID??

radamo

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

Been doing it for years... never really thought about before. Also made it easier for me to setup all of her devices.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You can still use the same Apple ID for purchases, but as already stated, one of you will have to have a new Apple ID, specifically for iCloud.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

You can share the same ID for iTunes, but you need separate ID for iCloud. My Wife and I do that. Sharing the same iCloud ID causes problems. Your wife should create a new Apple ID for iCloud, but stay logged in to iTunes with your ID.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Echoing what the others say:

* Apple ID should be unique to the individual
* iTunes/app store account can be shared

iMessage is tied to the phone number but can also be tied to Apple ID which causes issues for people sharing them.

radamo

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

Added a new id and figured out how to not lose everything.. now we have separate id's...

radamo

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

I created the new id for my phone... just easier that way... But when I connected my phone to my pc to back it up I noticed that if I went to sync music I was prompted to delete all??? How can I just continue to sync as I did prior?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

Because iTunes on your PC is seeing a new user ID and since the current music was backed up/uploaded using a different ID, the sync wants to delete it. It's a security feature to make sure one ID doesn't have any music of movies it didn't pay for.

radamo

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

I took the leap and let it delete all on the phone... now re-adding everything. This whole process was easier than I thought. I was really hesitant create a new ID because I thought I would LOSE EVERYTHING on my phone and have to start from scratch... it actually only took a few minutes and I didn't lose anything.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

I took the leap and let it delete all on the phone... now re-adding everything. This whole process was easier than I thought. I was really hesitant create a new ID because I thought I would LOSE EVERYTHING on my phone and have to start from scratch... it actually only took a few minutes and I didn't lose anything.

Excellent. A lot of people start out sharing an ID just because it's so simple. But even Apple recommends against doing that. This was an example of why.

Glad you got everything worked out. Now you can plan a surprise birthday party for her without her knowing. HINT HINT!!!!! :)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Appreciate all the input from everyone.

Nice! It's something people didn't think much of at first but really much easier to have things separate. You and your wife can still share calendars if you want -- my wife and I rely on this. Here's how:

https://www.imore.com/how-publicly-share-calendar-your-iphone-and-ipad

You can also enable family sharing as well which will create a Family calendar you can both add entries to. :)

Last edited:

radamo

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

Going to have to look at that... I use Google Calendars for work and my wife uses a different platform. But keeping our own family calendar this way sounds great... something for tomorrow's coffee...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Going to have to look at that... I use Google Calendars for work and my wife uses a different platform. But keeping our own family calendar this way sounds great... something for tomorrow's coffee...

If you use Family Sharing, you can't share in app purchases. You can share the same apps, but will pay twice for in app purchases you both may want. If that matters to you.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

We use Google as well and it's just as easy, except the biggest difference is you may need to tell it from time to time which calendars to sync which can be a pain. Since we still use the Google email we haven't changed over to full iCloud calendar but if you're looking to have a shared calendar, two separate iCloud works great.

We have a calendar for each of us, which is shared, so we can see each other's events (dr appt, etc.) but also a combined account that's for events we will both do, i.e. Christmas parade, vacations, etc. You can still keep your google calendars sync'd, and she won't see those unless you give her the link to it.

radamo

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

My iCloud backups fail every time. Even without photos and many apps omitted it says I do not have enough space. Really not into paying for space so will continue to backup to my PC and use Google Calendars...

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Seems the Watch is the first device where we can't seem to manage "who's" device it is. She gets iMessages for me and Vice Versa... why is that???

If we do have to get separate ID's is there a way to NOT HAVE TO RESET up our phones and migrate apps, settings etc to a new ID?

Just why lol? You can share most things with family sharing so you don’t have to buy a lot of apps twice

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Whenever I get a new phone I always start from scratch. I rather just download what I need over then dealing with a backup. Plus the WiFi is spotty with my phone ( fine with my windows laptops though no fault of the phone ) so I don’t even use WiFi at home. Thank god sprint doesn’t slow down my service lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73