Apple Camera Software

I

iMore Question

If google can give so many of its upcoming pixel 3 camera features to pixel 2 and pixel 1 but why is apple reluctant to provide its smart hdr on iphone x or iphone 8plus which still are great camera phones and with smart hdr might perform even better or why not provide iphone 8 with portrait mode just like iphone xr if all is software based why don’t just apple provide to its other phones ?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If google can give so many of its upcoming pixel 3 camera features to pixel 2 and pixel 1 but why is apple reluctant to provide its smart hdr on iphone x or iphone 8plus which still are great camera phones and with smart hdr might perform even better or why not provide iphone 8 with portrait mode just like iphone xr if all is software based why don’t just apple provide to its other phones ?

If the camera in the iPhone consistently matches or exceeds the cameras on non-Apple devices, then why does Apple need to implement what the others have?

It’s the same with smartphone specs. What Apple can do with 8 GB of RAM may require other manufacturers to have to use 16 GBs.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Because the camera features in the iPhone Xs (Max) require processing power that the other iPhones simply can’t provide.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Because the camera features in the iPhone Xs (Max) require processing power that the other iPhones simply can’t provide.

Examples, please.

I've purchased a few camera apps that make the stock camera app look like 16-bit doggy doo.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Examples, please.

I've purchased a few camera apps that make the stock camera app look like 16-bit doggy doo.

You know I don’t have the Xs Max.
Therefor I’m basing my statement on the lack of Smart HDR feature as mentioned by OP.