Backing up on mobile data

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Why can I back up my iPhone on iCloud while on mobile data?
Same question for updateing iOs.

Unlike in some western countries, unlimited data bundles aren’t common.
To protect those people against high costs, Apple has implemented such a safety.

I agree that it would be nice if there was a setting to let the device know you’re on a unlimited data plan.

For the time being we’ll have to make do with the current situation.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I wish Apple allowed us to control what we do on our mobile data. I'm sure it's part Apple and part the carriers. But in a lot of cases, my mobile data is faster than the WiFi so I'd prefer to do app updates, large file downloads or backups on mobile data.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Another issue is carriers don’t want you to use mobile data for large transfers even if your in unlimited.

Unlimited in the US isn’t exactly unlimited it’s more like you have unlimited till you hit 20+ GBs then they notify you that you will soon be throttled back

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Another issue is carriers don’t want you to use mobile data for large transfers even if your in unlimited.

Unlimited in the US isn’t exactly unlimited it’s more like you have unlimited till you hit 20+ GBs then they notify you that you will soon be throttled back

But how is it that Android doesn’t have the same restrictions from the carriers?
If carriers can put pressure on Apple to reduce mobile data usage, surely they can do the same for Android with Google.

montecito79

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
Come on, Apple protects me from myself!? I am not an *****.
In my case wi-fi at home is very slow and I can not back it up without loosing an hour or two.
On the other hand I have unlimited mobile data (1TB) and I can back it up in few minutes.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Come on, Apple protects me from myself!? I am not an *****.
In my case wi-fi at home is very slow and I can not back it up without loosing an hour or two.
On the other hand I have unlimited mobile data (1TB) and I can back it up in few minutes.

Mine backs up at night so I don't lose any time at all (I'm asleep). Understood the issue about wanting flexibility but not sure how you're losing any time. :)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

I can, respectfully, debunk that myth. I'm constantly in the 40-50 gig usage every month and have never received any notifications nor been throttled back.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I can, respectfully, debunk that myth. I'm constantly in the 40-50 gig usage every month and have never received any notifications nor been throttled back.

Thankfully never had to test that out, though I can't tell you what our usage is... just know it's not that high.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

It depends on the plan. Grandfathered plans may not be subject to data throttling but every one of today’s mobile plans that I’ve seen has some sort of “if you use more than ____ GB of data in a billing cycle you may be subjected to lower speeds on our network.” T-Mobile, for example, uses “data prioritization” after a certain point that basically equates to throttling during peak usage times.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
It depends on the plan. Grandfathered plans may not be subject to data throttling but every one of today’s mobile plans that I’ve seen has some sort of “if you use more than ____ GB of data in a billing cycle you may be subjected to lower speeds on our network.” T-Mobile, for example, uses “data prioritization” after a certain point that basically equates to throttling during peak usage times.

I've been on the Tmobile One plan for about a year and if I'm getting throttled I sure can't tell.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been on the Tmobile One plan for about a year and if I'm getting throttled I sure can't tell.

TMo doesn’t throttle until 50 GB and it isn’t a hard “You’re being throttled!” It’s more of a “Eh, we might just slow your speed down if we feel like it.”
8aaf322a814a3c515c0c387d3af717d3.jpg

I should also mention that I’m the T-Mobile One Amplified plan. I’m not sure if that makes a difference as far as data usage and throttling goes compared to other TMo plans.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods