What is Jailbreaking?

carrayville

Oct 4, 2018
Visit site
A question is “Should I jailbreak my iPhone?”

To my knowledge, it is possible to jailbreak anything, the only reason some things aren't jailbroken is that there isn't enough interest in the platform. And it's a pretty common misconception that jailbreaking is illegal because people tie it closely to piracy in their minds. So long as you do not pirate apps, like essay fixer, music, movies or anything else, however, it is legal. There's actually a specific exemption under the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) specifically making the jailbreaking of phones legal. There is not, however an exemption for game consoles or tablet computers (like iPads), so those two categories of device remain in a legal grey-area.

But the first and foremost, it is NOT illegal, or it is not true. There are some people who would like it to be illegal, but it is currently not. Secondly, it is NOT nearly as dangerous as some would have you believe. Don’t get me wrong, whenever you go into your phone and play around with system files, there is a chance to break something. But the guys who make these jailbreaks aren't just playing around, they have it down to a science. The legal intricacies involved with technology are a fascinating subject, definitely worth looking into if you have some free time.

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and thanks for joining. Feel free to join in on the many threads found in the forum. Enjoy.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Make yourself at home and enjoy the site! Jailbreaking is still a thing. But not as many users do it these days. So much has been added to the iPhone and it's OS, that many don't feel the need for it. There's still a lot of cool stuff Jailbreaking offers though. Not every OS has a jailbreak. Not sure about iOS 12.

violetjune

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Make yourself at home and enjoy the site! Jailbreaking is still a thing. But not as many users do it these days. So much has been added to the iPhone and it's OS, that many don't feel the need for it. There's still a lot of cool stuff Jailbreaking offers though. Not every OS has a jailbreak. Not sure about iOS 12.

I think iOS 12 - 12.1.2 can be jail broken.

https://youtu.be/1Ry3D-EuwMU

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi, and welcome to iMore.

While I'm relatively new to the world of Apple (maybe 3 years) I was an Android user from day 1. All my devices were rooted and running custom roms. I loved the freedom and customization. I hated the constant tinkering and tweaking to keep it running.

Then I moved to Apple and it just worked. Period. And thus I have no desire to jailbreak any of my Apple devices.

If I so feel the urge, I'll grab my old Nexus 6 out of its box.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro