Why does my boyfriend's dog hate me?

I

iMore Question

She is a small maltese/shih tzu cross. Nine years old.

Although he initially assured me that she would bark (she barks at everyone) she would get used to me if I came around his place often enough. But I have been dating him for more than a year now and she is still hostile towards me. To the point when I am slightly close to her she will start to growl. Sometimes when I place my hand on her she will also growl.

Recently however, she occasionally approaches in a friendly manner and allows me to touch her - but after a few moments of patting she may suddenly change temperament and start acting aggressive again. One time she bit me as a result of an encounter like this.

My boyfriend and his parents always tell her off if she is seen growling at me. And I have taken their suggestion to give her food or take her on walks so she can get used to me. These have not worked.

Strangely though when my boyfriend's little cousin comes around and I entertain his cousin, the dog will start sitting in my lap - though will growl at me when I pat her.

I'm not sure what I can do to make her less aggressive towards me.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. We are an Apple products fan site. We don't answer those type questions here. For help with that I suggest you check Quora.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner