How to block calls not in contact list, how to set song as ring tone??

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
I just came over after being a long time user of BlackBerry (Storm, Storm 2, Z10, Z30, PlayBook). Some things I have found to be easier on iOS, but others seem way too difficult. So, looking for help on the following 2 items:

1) I am looking for a way or an app that I can simply tell to only allow incoming calls or texts from people in my contact list. It seems that using the DND function has limitations if your phone is locked (i.e., no one gets through).

2) An easy way to have a song be your ring tone. The iTunes method that is online doesn't seem to work with iOS 12 or it has issues with non-mp3 files. The GarageBand technique is a pain and only allowed me to go with the first 8 bars of the song. If I picked a higher number, it just added the first bars over again.

Thanks in advance for your help.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
What I did for DND is make groups out of my contacts (I think you can do this in iCloud, I used a now defunct app) so when I turn DND on say if my kids are at school I allow the “Schools and Staff” group. If I want only my family I can that. So perhaps make your contacts one big group if you want to leave the phone on DND.

I can’t help with ringtones I’ve only ever made them in iTunes.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The problem with DND is that when the phone is locked, no calls come through regardless of other settings.

No, you can allow calls from certain people. I do it all the time.
4b84cac6649250b24acee12db0a4e502.jpeg

0913451763fe17f981958e9895e81b8d.jpeg

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
You have it on “While iphone is locked” and not on “Always?” And you have a group selected under “Allow Calls From?” Are you shutting off your ringer? If you are that would be the problem.

It should work. I have never had a problem. I’ve been woken from a dead sleep and nearly had a heart attack because one of my “allowed contacts “ have made it through and I thought something was wrong.

If you have it set up correctly, have your ringer on and it still doesn’t work I’d suggest a visit to the Genius Bar.

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
The only difference is my group is "All Contacts" as I want to get calls from anyone in my contacts list. When the phone is locked, all calls go straight to voice mail. The only way I know I missed a call is the notification center says so and the phone icon has a 1 next to it. Maybe DND doesn't work unless you have a smaller group??? I guess I will have to talk to the genius bar.

And yes, I have my ringer on.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
That is really odd. I wish there was more I could do to help. I seriously use this every day and have never had an issue. Good luck and if you find a fix please update.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
FWIW I just tried it out on my husband’s phone. He has no groups. I selected “All Contacts” put it in DND, locked the phone and then called him from my phone. It went right through.
You’re not powering down are you? Just hitting the power button to lock right?

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
Dropped by the local Apple store today and they said I need to reinstall iOS 12 for DND to work right. I can't find anything on the web about that and didn't want to do that in the store without access to my iTunes backup.

Anyone have a procedure for doing that?

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
OK, I got instructions on doing the reinstall. I chose the more aggressive "restore" function, but it didn't fix the DND issue. With the phone locked, but not off, all calls just go straight to voicemail with DND on and set to all all contacts.

Also, restoring from the backup doesn't fully restore all apps. The apps are there, but when I open them the first time, most are asking for more information. I had to reenter my phone number into Whatsapp and also redo iTouch and Siri.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices