Can I ‘Mirror backup’ my iPhone via iCloud Before Replacing it With a New One?

I

iMore Question

Hi there,
I’m having trouble with my touch screen on my iPhone 6 Plus after nearly four years of ownership. After some research, it looks like it might be the ‘touch disease’. Nevertheless, I am heading to Apple today to see if I can get it replaced or even upgrade to a 6S Plus. If I backup to iCloud, then go and get a new iPhone, will iCloud restore absolutely everything as if I haven’t lost anything? i.e. app data, app positions/folders on the screen, settings etc.
If not, will an iTunes backup and restore be more thorough?
Thanks for any insight!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,
I’m having trouble with my touch screen on my iPhone 6 Plus after nearly four years of ownership. After some research, it looks like it might be the ‘touch disease’. Nevertheless, I am heading to Apple today to see if I can get it replaced or even upgrade to a 6S Plus. If I backup to iCloud, then go and get a new iPhone, will iCloud restore absolutely everything as if I haven’t lost anything? i.e. app data, app positions/folders on the screen, settings etc.
If not, will an iTunes backup and restore be more thorough?
Thanks for any insight!

My iPhone 7 Plus got replaced a while back and I restored from iCloud without losing any data and app positions/folders.

If you want 100% safety, perform an encrypted backup through iTunes.

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tips! But I literally just tried both. A few hours ago, I tried iCloud backup. It showed 4 hours remaining. I went to sleep for about an hour and looked st my phone. It seemed to have been completed. But it hadn’t. I didn’t touch the phone, nor did anyone else. So I tried an iTunes back up. It takes about 1.5 hours, but when it gets to 5 minutes remaining, I get:
“iTunes could not backup the iPhone because an error occurred while reading from or writing to the iPhone”.
I’ve checked out online remedies such as deleting backups, disabling auto-lock, updating to the latest iTunes version etc. All I can think that it might be is that I have a software update to complete for iOS. I will give that a go, then try the backups again. Argh!

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73