How can I stop email recipients seeing (and using !) my christian name?

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how to stop email recipients seeing (and using !) my christian name ? I am firmly of the belief that to address someone who you were not introduced to,and invited to do so by,their christian name, is rude, and by extension, ignorant. And as I get older and no doubt, more cantankerous, this practice gets, in the vernacular “right up my nose”.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: email title

I completely understand where you’re coming from. However I have really no idea on how to prevent this and would be interested to know if anybody else has any possible suggestions.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: email title

Can anyone tell me how to stop email recipients seeing (and using !) my christian name ? I am firmly of the belief that to address someone who you were not introduced to,and invited to do so by,their christian name, is rude, and by extension, ignorant. And as I get older and no doubt, more cantankerous, this practice gets, in the vernacular “right up my nose”.

Unless the recipient has added you to his or her contact list using your given name, typically, only your email address will appear. With that being said, how are you expecting your recipients to address you?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

Unfortunately this is the world we live in. I get email continuously from head hunters and they always use my name. Not really much you can do about it unless you are using an email address that doesn't contain your name. If you are, then probably what has happened is you're shared your info (maybe in a resume) with your username at domain dot com email address and then they have your name.

Basically, not really a lot you can do about it. I get where you are coming from, but if you're like me (an older person living in a younger generation) it's just one of those things you're going to have to deal with.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Remove your name from all associated accounts. I'd also hope your name isn't included in your email.

For example, if you use Gmail, you could have your name included in your Google profile. This may result in recipients seeing both your email address and your name (as it's listed in your Google profile). To change this, you'd need to remove/change your name listed in your profile.

Or add a signature to your email indicating your preferred title.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Edit the name associated with your email account. Everyone, regardless of what email address they use, should be able to put any name they want in the email account settings. Unless they already have your name in their contact list, you decide what shows up in the From field.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok, thank you all for your replies, I think I have done it. None of my email accounts have my christian name associated with them, only the initial, but my iCloud account has, perhaps from my original Apple set up details. This is editable (?) so I did... and then emailed myself ... done ! I have to add that I don’t email myself too often so didn’t see my name writ large across the them ! the answer to ‘D s question is, anything polite and not familiar.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

People always call me by my christian name. This is the only name that I have. No one needs more than one name.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
This is the most bizarre thread.

I've never heard of it being rude (and certainly not ignorant) for someone to call you by your name.

Very odd concept.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I've never heard of it being rude (and certainly not ignorant) for someone to call you by your name.

Very odd concept.

I was thinking the same thing. Why would somebody be offended by their own “Christian” name? I honestly think that it’s way more personable to use someone’s name in an email and do it every single day.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
No one needs more than one name.

Not true. You can have a religious name, you can have a pen name, you can have an online name different from your birth name, you can have a nickname. There's probably a dozen more than I can't think of at the moment.

Very odd concept.

Some people like their privacy. I use to go by "Mouse". No one ever knew what my real name was for many, many years. My x husband still calls me Mouse lol.

I've never heard of it being rude either, or ignorant. I don't feel that it is.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Some people like their privacy. I use to go by "Mouse". No one ever knew what my real name was for many, many years. My x husband still calls me Mouse lol.

Sure, but does that mean you would be offended if someone referred to you as Sherry?
If I’m going to set my email account up to present myself as my legal name I think it would be silly to judge someone for referring to me by that name.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Sure, but does that mean you would be offended if someone referred to you as Sherry?
If I’m going to set my email account up to present myself as my legal name I think it would be silly to judge someone for referring to me by that name.

You must have been replying while I was editing my post. Please see my edit.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
This last page( 2/2) explains quite well the awful degeneration of civility and politeness in the last half century.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
This last page( 2/2) explains quite well the awful degeneration of civility and politeness in the last half century.

How so? Seems like a pretty civil discussion about people using their legal names in emails to me. You should also remember that this is an online forum and therefore not a very good basis for how people act toward each other in day-to-day life. There’s more to human interaction than what is said through social media...just saying.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How so? Seems like a pretty civil discussion about people using their legal names in emails to me. You should also remember that this is an online forum and therefore not a very good basis for how people act toward each other in day-to-day life. There’s more to human interaction than what is said through social media...just saying.

also I think people can freely say they don't agree with something without it being deemed offensive just because they didn't agree.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2